New Year, New Resolutions

Dru

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I resolve to take my dad up Mt. Hood and spend more time with my parents in general.

thumbs_up.gif I learned over the last couple years that they're not going to be around forever and you only get one set (of biological) parents in a lifetime. Thankfully mine are pretty cool.

Exactly. As I get older the reality sets in that I will only have a limited time to spend with them. In the past, I never let myself acknowledge this. Every holiday season becomes much more important to me.

This past year wound up getting derailed in terms of meeting my outdoor objectives. I remember posting several goals: Run a marathon, a tri, climb Hood or Rainier, then later Mont Blanc.

Well, two weeks into the new year my dad had a stroke, and I can tell you it changed my life (not to mention derailed my goals for the year). Luckily, my dad survived and after months of rehab he and my mom still live on their own...but after a long life of stellar health, life is a lot tougher for them.

Normally I wouldn't post something this personal, but since Iain put the post above up there, I wanted to underscore the importance of what he said. All good things do come to an end. Do stuff with your parents while you can!

In retrospect, despite the additional commitments, and missed goals (only completed the marathon...what the Hell, Mt Blanc fell down anyway), 2003 could have been worse. I am officially placing those missed goals this year as my targets for 2004.

Frantic last-minute yearend work stuff calls. Happy New Year to you guys. bigdrink.gif

2003 was an amazing liberating year for me. I have learned so much and accomplished so many things that i didn't even think were remotely possible. This year I want to continue down my path of self actualization. I will quit smoking at long last. I too have found a new appritiation for my folks. When my chips were down this year my parents realy stepped up and helped me way more than I expected. I think they have found a new level of trust in me as well, as I stood up and faced the challenges in front of me. As a family we have grown. They have found a trust in me as I have proven that I am able to make a plan and follow threw with that plan, and struggle and fight and find success. I think this also helps me be more successful as a parent. As my children have seen me succeed I think they have more respect, and as I follow threw with what I say I am going to do, I think it helps them learn how to be in the world. As far as my out side objectives... I want to climb more ski more hike more and have MORE FUN. My major objective this year will be an over night backcountry trip. I still have so much I want to learn grin.gif HAPPY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

I personally don't make New Year's resolutions for two main reasons:

1) I hardly come up with something good and worthwhile to accomplish the last day or week or two in December.

2) Then, when I think of a great personal goal, let's say in the middle of February, I would hate to wait till NYE of 2004 to set it as a resolution to accomplish in 2005.

So I make/fullfill resolutions throughout the year. Makes it more interesting this way than just once a year.

Happy New Year bigdrink.gif

2003 was amazing, I don't think I will ever have a year that will ever live up to the events that took place!

this years plan includes: learning to misty flip or lincon loop, having kinkyer sex, and get my skydive certifaction finished...

I hope all goes well tonight, and every one falls over puking from over indulging in intoxicants!

bigdrink.giffruit.gifwave.gif