Da kaPOW weekend TR

ken4ord

Well it all started Saturday at 7 am picking Dave Schuldt at his place. We immediately headed to the mountains. On the way we got to see some sled heads trailer tipped on its side, what a way to start the day, poor bastards. I was stoked to get out on the Split again this year and with all the new snow I knew where ever we were going it was going to be good and it was.

We started by skinning up Hyak. Eventually we ended up in the woods and heading up passing under little cliffs. (Ice climbers, hmmm some possible potential out there for some single pitch mixed stuff.) It was a nice pleasant ski up, it was so nice to be chilling in the woods and breathe some fresh air. We eventually got to the slope we were going to ride. Skinning up was quite the task, but eventually we got up on the mountain ate some food and got ready for some fun.

I let Dave blaze the way for the first couple of turns, but being myself and really enjoy pointing my board I quickly caught up. The first half was nice tree riding which then dumps you into a little half pipe gully. Rode down through and got ready to do it again. Having a skinning trail already busted out it took no time to climb up again. This next time we took it a little further down and found a nice small open section where Dave was able to get some glorious turns in and I was able to surf down. We decided to call it good since we both were heading out again the next day.

We got back to the top of Hyak just as they were closing. We skinned right to the top of a run all the while recieving strange looks from the ski patrol. They asked us what we were doing, hmmm I thought it was pretty self explanitory, but we did them the favor and told them we were heading back down the mountain and were going to grab a beer. There reply was the mountain was closed. So does that mean we can't go down and get our beer, damn whats up with that. Well anyway after some deliberation they decided they could do a second sweep and to make sure we make it back alright. Thank Gawd they were there, I am not sure what would have happened if we didn't have some one looking out for us. cantfocus.gif Eventually we made it to the bigdrink.gif sat down and savored the day.

Well that was round one. Round two was Crystal. Again another early start, but no problems getting up after seeing the snow report the night before, I was stoked to get out and do a maximum of runs. We got up there around 9 and the place was filling up fast and rightfully so. With a good 10 or 12 inches of new who could resist.

Well after getting our passes we immediately headed to the high country. We started with a warm up on the Green Lake lift and hit a nice black diamond bowl somewhat near Snorting Elk run, I new instantly I was not going to want to stop. After that run we made our way up behind Powder Bowl and spent the first half of the day riding the steep and deep. With a ton of people out there it was hard finding the untracked, but they were around, and when you did get into it was face shot city. The snow was sweet for the most part dry powder, though heavy. At around 2:30, my buddy Mike was fading. He said he was on his way to the Snorting Elk for some beer. I figure I only had a couple of runs left in me and told him I would be joining him shortly.

I decided to work back to Green Lake lift and work a couple of run in there. Well, I found some great stuff in there and just couldn't stop. I found myself saying 'ok this is the last run' then I would find a new untracked line or interesting line or I'd get to the bottom and there would be no line and then I dig deep for another run (actually I didn't have to dig to deep). Well I ended up getting about 10+ runs before they closed the lift, which is a good thing cause it seemed I couldn't make myself stop and someone needed to stop me before I ended up doing something stupid.

Well eventually made it to the Snorting Elk and joined Mike for some Black Butte Porter bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif, what a way to finish up another great day.

Hope you all got out and raged on the freshies.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The snow has been pretty phenomenal the last week or so.

I'm not sure how long I'll be able to follow doctor's orders on this whole "take it easy while the injury heals" thing, but whatever.

fruit.gif

Saw the infamous Beck at the ski hill last night. He's quite a fine little skier, that one.

We were at Skihowl Sunday too! Outback was insane but where was everybody??? Gunsite and the tree shots East of Willow were amazing. Snow conditions there were as good as I've ever seen 'em. We skied the trees North of Scottys late in the day and there were still freshiez galore. Was that you in the yellow jacket, Shred?

'cept k2 has that "at skiers suck" bumper sticker and this fella's clearly randonee w/ that stance...

Okay, I'm a n00b so no snide remarks, but how can you tell B is skiing AT by his stance? I'm learning to ski the new gear and the only thing I'm really doing differently is staying really light on my feet. Still initiating and carving the same way, just (um theoretically) with more grace and precision than on regular old alpine stuff.

And what is up with that K2? They make gear for all three disciplines and then they market them all against each other. Lame!!

Ken, thats a cool drop in location, but I've never seen a boarder us poles before.

I know I always feel funny having them in my hands when I am boarding, but I like to have them out in the backcoutry especially in the trees in case I get bogged down or stuck in well, they come in handy. If I am on a wide open slope I shove them in the pack, though.