Chair peak approach

pu

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was up there on sunday, and while there was an Alpental employee sitting in his truck as if to restrict uphill traffic, he did nothing to stop me or the usual cluster of sledders and snowshoers going up the groomed backcountry exit trail.

I would not recommend making a big stink about this with the resort, otherwise they will find a way to restrict parking to backcountry users not riding the lifts. They have done this around Mt. Hood and you have to buy a snow park in areas where you used to be able to sneak in with the alpine skiers. It's a lot easier to walk around the trailhead they don't want you using than dealing with parking restrictions.

I can see the resort's reasons for restricting uphill traffic. I ride alpental a lot and the clueless sledders and hikers on the BC exit are in danger of being run over. I think the key to maintaining access is just to keep a low profile and keep a heads up while hiking up the trail when the alpental BC is open.

I was at pass yesterday. I parked at the summer trail head. There is a massive path from there to source lake. It is nicer and more packed down than the trail from the end of the parking lot. I came out that way and a King County Sheriff was sitting there and an Alpental Truck. They didn't say word one to me for I kept walking towards the lodge. There were a half dozen cars and the last parking lot.