"Touching the Void" movie

dryad

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I wonder how the story was modified to make it more palatable for a mass audience or is this more along the lines of an 'art film'?

I thought the idea behind the book was impressive but felt that the story was boring which isn't surprising for a personal narrative. It was difficult for me to engage in suspension of disbelief to get into the book. Maybe seeing the magic of film will make the story seem more alive than the book could do for me.

Had a chance to preview the film...the story is compelling enough for me to have appreciated it and the book. Not a lot of climbing in the film, but great commentaries from Simon and Joe, and highly impactful story-telling (for me anyway, though I am sure any guy out there would classify me as "emotional.").

true, everything is subjective, but there are some things that most everyone agrees on, and i had assumed that the fascinating nature of this story would be one of them. the fact that it's been translated into 14 languages may back me up. speaking personally, Touching the Void is certainly the most captivating book i've read, and it's lost none of its impact over the years.

But it's a true story as told by a climber, so keep your suspension handy - you never know when you might need it.

Touching the Void opens in Seattle on Jan 23 at the Egyptian Theater. Joe Simpson will be at REI on Jan 20 to debate Murray on the accuracy of his book.

But it's a true story as told by a climber, so keep your suspension handy - you never know when you might need it.

Yes it's true. Joe made the whole thing up from start to finish. He horribly mangled his leg in a bar fight in Huraz and he and Yates subsequently made up the story in order to land a lucrative sponsorship deal with Gerber Knives Inc.

I found the book damn inspiring. If I ever find myself busted up on a snow bridge in a crevasse I'm going to think about Joe Simpson and hopefully muster the will to get my ass out alive... as opposed to rolling into the void thinking 'damn, Simpson must have made it up, I can't get out of here alive."