The Inca Trail to Machu Picchu

The_North_Face

The Inca Trail to Machu PicchuFREE SLIDE SHOW/LECTURETuesday, April 16th, 7PMAn evening with Troy Glennon, Owner of Far and Wide Adventures

Join adventurer/photographer, Troy Glennon, as he guides us via slides and stories along the ancient Inca Trail. The Inca Trail is a true wonder of the world; it is a cultural odyssey that leads you along an early engineering masterpiece, culminating in the beautiful and haunting ruins of the famed "Lost City" of Machu Picchu. Undiscovered even by the early Conquistadors, Machu Picchu remained hidden from human knowledge until 1911. How did Machu Picchu remain hidden for so long? Who kept its secrets? Troy, who has traveled extensively throughout central and South America will share pictures, stories, and experiences about this ancient and mysterious place.

The North FAce1023 1st AveSeattle(206) 622-4111

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK time to jump in here guys and just rip on the fact that TNF is sponsoring something...right?

I mean come on, this guy must be a sell out ..right? He is doing this show at TNF...so he is a sell out. A clear media darling. A clear example of prostituting outdoor ethics for cold hard cash. This guy is clearly cultivating himself as a high powered meia giant. We must stop him. People like him must be stopped. He likely had some help and suport getting to where he is now, so he must be evil.

Clearly this guy is the epitome of corprate creed and evil. I mean to think that he is using a TNF facility to spread his evil messae, like Jim Jones, have a cool-aide. [big Drink]

[Wink]

quote:

Undiscovered even by the early Conquistadors, Machu Picchu remained hidden from human knowledge until 1911.

You read it here first folks, apparently the Incas have been determined to be not human. You think that dude Erich Von Daniken (of "In search of Ancient Astronauts" fame) was on to something?

quote:

How did Machu Picchu remain hidden for so long? Who kept its secrets?

Hmmm. I give up. Ollie North? Arthur Andersen? How 'bout Miz Clinton? Or could the remote possibility exist that those locals who knew about it all those years didn't want some punk-assed jr exec from TNF to suggest a slide show tour in the boardroom as a feeble effort to suck-ass his way to the top, consequently turning Machu Picchu into something akin to the Enchantments; replete with yellow school buses and fecal landmines? [sleep]

"Undiscovered even by the early Conquistadors, Machu Picchu remained HIDDEN FROM HUMAN KNOWLEDGE until 1911." ????

That could just be ignorant, careless publicity hype although it would be interesting to know if this is the speaker's own verbage or that of TNF.

Dwayner happens to know a little bit about this subject, being the author of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Lost Civilizations." (How's that for shameless self-promotion?!) In Chapter 22, I wrote the following:

THE LOST CITY OF MACHU PICCHU

In 1911, American explorer Hiram Bingham went in search of a lost city said to have been the refuge of the last Inca ruler after the Spanish conquered the capital of Cuzco. Local people told him of ancient ruins high up on a mountain. With a guide, Bingham made the arduous jungle climb out of a deep river canyon to the top of a ridge between two peaks. What greeted him was the spectacular remains of a royal Inca estate called Machu Picchu.

The site was abandoned except for a few farmers living amid the ruins. A major expedition was launched to clear the site of vegetation and to map, record, and study the ruins. The dramatic beauty of its location and its superb Inca stone architecture have established Machu Picchu as among the most admired archaeological sites in the world. The estate was built by the Inca ruler, Pachacuti, who ruled from around A.D. 1438 to 1471, and was probably abandoned not long after the Spanish conquest.

"Hidden from human knowledge", eh? [laf][laf][laf][hell no]

- Professor Dwayner

Whatever poor sap at TNF gets coerced into writing this spam musta had a lobotomy cause they ALWAYS GET THEIR FACTS WRONG IN EVERY SINGLE POST.

Im just waiting for the one where they call Ed Veisturs "First Man to Climb Everest".

[ 04-15-2002, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: Dru ]

hey rod,

i would not call this guy a sellout...how about a self serving laut.....i mean this sounds like an advertisment for his company....which is too bad, cause it sounds like the commercialization of natural history.....

maybe we can change ther topic to "trampling human history for money"

sounds good to me......

In 1997 I ran the Inca trail following a string of successful ascents in the Andies. The trail is truely amazing as advertised and although it's becoming more crowded every year(like everything) Machu Pichu stands as one of the most incredible human endeavors.

I cannot interpret if anyone is honestly calling someone a sell-out just because of a slideshow. If you ever get the opportunity to visit such a magical place than you will understand the draw, beauty, power, and mystical wonder Machu Pichu possesses.

I have had the opportunity to do the Inca Trail and see Machu Pichu. It was an interesting experience but the locals do'nt call it the "Gringo Trail" for nothing. Anyone can pay local guide services to drag you along the trail carrying your supplies and set up your camp. You can also ride the train to the bottom and catch the bus to the top. Look out for the 100's of "touristas" loitering about. As of last spring the new lodge was getting near completion so fine accomadations can be found. If this guy is promoting this trip it is a little to late. Just before Machu Pichu there is a Hostel located on the trail. Look out!, they charge at least a $1 U.S. for a local 20 oz. pilsner beer. That is highway robbery in Peru. You should never pay more than $.30 u.s.