Wanting to learn to ice and alpine climb

montanapup

thumbs_up.gif cool- thanks for the tips, jja. now my question to you is do any of you have photos of the climbing areas at alpental? I was up at Alpental 1-4 (I think..) a couple weeks ago (and found way too little ice), but was looking around for some of the other cliffs and couldn't find them. I was just going off of memory from the WA Ice book, but maybe if one of you has actually got a shot of the ice with some reference points on the side, I'd sure appreciate a post..

thanks

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No photos. But kiddie cliff is on the left side of the valley a couple of hundred yards before you break out of the forest near source lake. It sometimes gets half buried in snow. From the upper parking lot follow the ski track (now closed to uphill traffic - see access forum) past the water tower until it turns into a single trail. Keep the cliff system(s) to your immediate left, you'll see some ice (or maybe not) in 30 - 45 minutes. There is some avi danger here, and at the climb itself, so buyer beware.

Wopper,

There is no difference. That was my point. This is a marketing/sales gimmick. Although there are a few low-dollar gear items there, this is a gimmick that is not going to help someone get started in the alpine.

Buyer beware. If they can sell it to someone, good for them, they can sell gimmicks well.

if you pay my motel and gas money i will do it. just pm me and we can figure it out. ciao- r

This is probably a better deal than it sounds. Thinking of going for it myself. Hotels in Lilloet are dirt cheap, and you're paying for half the gas anyways. Probably climb harder/ more than you can imagine with Bob as your ropegun.

you bet it is a deal. i get a cheap trip and a belayer and you get to climb a shit load of ice and be safe. and you'll learn all the tricks of the trade, something that any guide service will not show you. so interested parties pm me. wave.gif

if you pay my motel and gas money i will do it. just pm me and we can figure it out. ciao- r

This is probably a better deal than it sounds. Thinking of going for it myself. Hotels in Lilloet are dirt cheap, and you're paying for half the gas anyways. Probably climb harder/ more than you can imagine with Bob as your ropegun.

you bet it is a deal. i get a cheap trip and a belayer and you get to climb a shit load of ice and be safe. and you'll learn all the tricks of the trade, something that any guide service will not show you. so interested parties pm me. wave.gif

And if your really lucky Glasgowkiss (=CrazyPolishBob) wont make more than 1 or 2 death threats to your person before you get home.

2 boots to the head, Bob.

And if your really lucky Glasgowkiss (=CrazyPolishBob) wont make more than 1 or 2 death threats to your person before you get home.

2 boots to the head, Bob.

good one turd soup - not!