telemark turns in 10" of pow

thelawgoddess

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay; i think i was gettin' it today. laugh.gif it felt almost like i was surfing on my back leg, with my weight pretty far back (to keep my tips up ... and to keep from face planting over my tips). but man is it hard work! i think i need to be more comfortable with skiing faster in powder, too. it also helped that they're doing a tele/at demo here today and i got to take out some fatties!

ames is closed. cry.gif but i'd be happy to go climb it despite that if you want to come give me a belay. evils3d.gif you're likely to not make it here if you have to drive over red pass, though - it's closed due to extreme winter driving conditions. woohoo!

fruit.gif

and anyway, i'm pretty tired from skiing the 15+" of NEW powder we have inbounds here today. tongue.gif

okay; i think i was gettin' it today. laugh.gif....but man is it hard work!

Yeah, it sounds like you're getting it. thumbs_up.gif Eventually, you'll get more comfortable with putting more weight onto the front ski, so you end up about 50:50 overall, but it will always vary with snow conditions.

And although it may feel like it, it isn't actually "work". If it was "work", you'd be getting paid for it.

But like they say, the best things in life are for free, right? fruit.gif

i think i need another lesson already! what's the short and sweet for making tele turns in pow?

Relax. The skis do the work for you. Start cross slope in tele position. Now softly, take uphill ski and step into turn. (Its an offbalance movement.) During this you transition your body weight from - tele pos 40% uphill ski 60% downhill ski - step, shoulders square to fallline 50% 50% weight on each foot - skis flex and turn now you are again 60% downhill boot, 40% uphill boot, back into tele position crossing slope...

After the first turn and once your momentum is going, use a subtle "jump turn" (its really just a hop, if the snow is light) to float the skis up and to the surface to ease through the turn easier. Find a rythm for the turns so that you control your speed by turning based on the incline of the slope.

Trying to ski pow when the slope angle is too shallow to get you some good momentum is arduous and makes you fall and loose confidence. In fresh snow, pick a slope that is steeper than one you would choose if groomed or even tracked out. If the slope is already tracked out, choose the most untracked line to keep the snow consistent. You'll find you speed up noticably in tracked terrain, which isnt good for easy control.

The toughest time I have is breakable crust, when the skis are very unpredictable through the step and turn as you are transitioning your weight. When I get into breakable crust or windslab, I try to go elsewhere