Middle Earth

Norsky

Speaking of Middle Earth...where is it? I've been seeing some decent pics here and there along with a smattering of "intelligence chatter between operatives". So what gives? Where is it? It's time to unveil the location. Come on you know there's only one or two bouderers on this site! Somwhere east of Index and west of Spokane. smirk.gif

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Was out at GoldBar bouldering for the first time this weekend, had a good time and was wondering if any beta existed for this place. I've also been interested in checking out Middle Earth (I was assuming this was a different place than the GoldBar boulders) but I don't really know since everyone seems to be so secretive about this place. Would anyone be willing to share some beta about it? Thanks.

sct

Enough with the secret boulder fag shit I posted all the info in the gallery.

dude, sort of a dick thing to do. You didn't make the topos, so I hope you asked Terry and whoever else made them. I wasn't being secretive, but you have to respect the people that made them. fucker.

Enough with the secret boulder fag shit I posted all the info in the gallery.

I've posted your girlfriends pics and number around the web since you don't seem to care about that sort of stuff.

anyone desiring Middle Earth beta can email me at kixrox2003@yahoo.com. I authored the topo's.

some pics are on 0-friction with my email.

There are private property concerns. There is good stuff there, 20+ problems, with much more to be cleaned and developed, and more to be found. Moss can be a problem, it grows back pretty quickly in there, so bring a big brush.

the place is season dependent. summer and fall the best. needs 3 days to dry post rain.

the place needs traffic and more development by considerate people.

Edited by kix

man, people getting possesive of pebbles and first ascents of pebbles? Now that's funny yellaf.gif

You're so silly Rudy. Doesn't matter which piece of the climbing game turns your crank, everyone is concerned about access and user impact, and secret projects come in all sizes. As Kix mentions, it's quite the balancing game: you don't want a bunch of people making a mess of things, but without enough traffic the moss will win.

That said, it's my guess you'll actually need to promote the area some to get the traffic you need to keep things clean, so work on your access issues pro-actively. Just what is the NW boulderer population these days? Even with more information access I doubt you'd see anything remotely like the onslaught Bishop has endured.

man, people getting possesive of pebbles and first ascents of pebbles? Now that's funny yellaf.gif

You're so silly Rudy. Doesn't matter which piece of the climbing game turns your crank, everyone is concerned about access and user impact, and secret projects come in all sizes. As Kix mentions, it's quite the balancing game: you don't want a bunch of people making a mess of things, but without enough traffic the moss will win.

That said, it's my guess you'll actually need to promote the area some to get the traffic you need to keep things clean, so work on your access issues pro-actively. Just what is the NW boulderer population these days? Even with more information access I doubt you'd see anything remotely like the onslaught Bishop has endured.

I guess first ascents of anything really don't mean much to me...i prefer the euro approach of open projects...especially on boulders...

hurray for kix though...

no one has ever called middle earth a secret nor a new nirvana of bouldering. but it is one more place on the west side, closer to home with some good problems and more to be cleaned. obviously someone had climbed one or two bits there in the past, likely on top rope since we found a bolt when we rolled back the 6 inch carpet of moss on the main boulder close to the road. But many V4+ problems that we developed had never been touched before.

We took the time to develop a trail, to avoid the place getting trampled and overrun, clean some problems and I have willingly shared the info when contacted. Although I do think that posting the info freely on the web is a bit inconsiderate. Everyone likes a good word of mouth find.

I do not have an FA agenda, I just climb on rocks. yes there is a lot of good stone in the sky valley. I'm having a great time exploring and finding new stuff weekly.

I think many people would like to see lots more bouldering options and areas getting developed near Seattle. But in a conscious and responsible manner.

I think I've done my part.

what have you done beyond some whining like someone left out on a secret and then get all sour graped?

Middle Earth borders private land and I am always careful to point it out to climbers and it is clearly indicated on my topos.

As for myself, I have not been there much recently, enjoying Lworth etc..., but I think it is a good spot to spend some time and climb some new stuff.

cheers.