Confessions of a snowboard chica

chelle

Or...Return from the dark side.

It has been 5 seasons since I have worn skis. I was seduced over to the dark side of snowboarding by the hip clothes, comfy boots, and the sensation of riding on snow. But the reality became days of fun on the blue runs when it wasn't icy, and feeling like I was run over by a truck if it was. And most of the time I felt like I was riding a knife edge of being in control with a heightened fear of getting injured if I strayed too far from moderate groomed slopes.

Yesterday I fully awakened to my folly and have returned to the land of two plankers. Woke up and saw that it was going to be a bluebird morning. I now had a sense of urgency to get my stuff together and get on the road. I should have gotten up an hour earlier. frown.gif Snow report said 10 in of freshies in the past 24 hours. Drove up the Mt. Baker highway and as I got closer to Glacier my thoughts were filled with skiing. The sunlight streaming through the trees and the contrast of white snow on the tops of peaks and the green trees was pure beauty.

I felt like the day was going to be special. I pulled over and got some rental gear and continued up the hill, giggling all the way to the parking lot because I was so excited to go SKIING!

Put on my skis and rode the chair up. The place was empty. No lines, five or six empty chairs between every one that had a person on it. Exited the lift and it was like riding a bike...I hadn't forgotten how to turn. I continued up to the top and found that there were still a few powder stashes that were untracked. Yippee!

The views of Mt. Baker and Shuksan and the peaks to the north were amazing. I skied all over the mountain until my legs were screaming from the lactic acid. It was so great to be back on skis, to be back on steeper terrain, to feel in control and enjoy the speed and shhhhing sounds of snow under foot, to play in powder and have it not hurt when I blew my third jump turn by crossing my tips and yard saled my gear. yellaf.gif Just a big poof and a swim up hill to retreive it.

All I can say is woohoo!!! Now I understand. I remember what it is like to ski! I know what you skiers are talking about. It's magic!

fruit.gifcool.giffruit.gif

Until next time... bigdrink.gif

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've NEVER skied. Ok, once when I was like 7 yrs old. I've always snowboarded, but I've resolved to make the switch.

I may be lucky that there's no good terrain here, learn on the mellow groomers before I get ambitious and kill myself. I've been waiting for a month to hit the slopes, but they close the areas when it hits -20F. Well every weekend has been -15 to -20, and even if it's open, I'd rather stay home and drink scotch at -15F.

This weekend looks like warm temps...all the way up to +12F!! I'm the hardheaded type, so I'll be doing the trial and error method...this could be ugly.

I've NEVER skied. Ok, once when I was like 7 yrs old. I've always snowboarded, but I've resolved to make the switch.

I may be lucky that there's no good terrain here, learn on the mellow groomers before I get ambitious and kill myself. I've been waiting for a month to hit the slopes, but they close the areas when it hits -20F. Well every weekend has been -15 to -20, and even if it's open, I'd rather stay home and drink scotch at -15F.

This weekend looks like warm temps...all the way up to +12F!! I'm the hardheaded type, so I'll be doing the trial and error method...this could be ugly.

Don't switch if your good on a board... I like to board, but I have never switched over cause it would take me years to be able to do what I do on my skis... I got friends that board steepterain, powder, drop cliffs, anything I do. So unless its to skinn up and ski down, go with what your good at...

I just jumped back on the 2 planks after a 11 year hiatus...makes the lift-served stuff fun again. I think after so long on the board, things start to get stagnant and adding skis to the quiver peps it up. I think I will keep doing both as there probably are going to be days where....damn it, only a board will do....then again, this is the first season for me trying AT, so maybe I'll revise the above sentiment in a year - I have read a lot of posts about the diehards/addicts on AT.

Don't switch if your good on a board... I like to board, but I have never switched over cause it would take me years to be able to do what I do on my skis... I got friends that board steepterain, powder, drop cliffs, anything I do. So unless its to skinn up and ski down, go with what your good at...

Well, that's just it...I wanna be able to skin up and ski down. Snowshoeing into something when your partners are cruising on skis, and watching them slide home again while you get worked is so suck.

I've got AT bindings on the way fruit.gif

Wow, that's a first. I can't remember hearing about someone who's switched back to skiing and been in so much bliss. It's usually the other way around...

Glad to hear you found your true calling. It's all about finding the best ride down, no matter what your on. thumbs_up.gif

I skied for 9 years and for the last 15 years I've been on a board. I've often wondered what it would be like to try skiing again, but I have too much fun to get up the nerve to do it. I bought a pair of tele skis awhile back so I could do the backcountry, but once I found the Split Decision I had no reason to ski....

cry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gif

What a sad story. Powdery bluebird day spent on sticks, instead of surfing the giant white wave. I am glad that you had a good day, but I just can never see going back to the dark side-skis,(ok some times I think about it when I am in the backcountry and bogged down in some thick veggies, but only briefly then I break out my poles then I am all set). The movement in snow boarding is what has got me hooked. Yeah the boots are more comfortable same with the clothes, but if you have yet to get that feeling of being in the zone; mountain, board, self being one, then you have not gone snowboarding. The other day (Friday) was a perfect example. Not that good of conditions but god damn I had fun. Spent the first half pretending I was on my downhill bike and not making turns unless there was one in the trail and not touching the brakes. Later I hit up the tress and the crud that was between them. Then spent the rest of the day doing the steep bump runs carving quick sharp turns and getting aggro with the mountain, punching the fall line, what a gas, it was crazy fun.

Well, that's just it...I wanna be able to skin up and ski down. Snowshoeing into something when your partners are cruising on skis, and watching them slide home again while you get worked is so suck.

I've got AT bindings on the way fruit.gif

Split board is your answer. If you get a chance to try one out they are incredible, they climb like you wouldn't believe.

No trolling intended, just reality. tongue.gif

yelrotflmao.gif So why are the spiltboarders always whining about performance at Couoloirmag? yelrotflmao.gif

I don't know what they are whining about. Are you sure it not skiers who are trying a split board, that are doing the whining. I have yet to meet a snowboarder who whines about getting into the backcountry on one. I love mine. Granted it is not a rigid as regular board, but I have no complaints with mine.

A friend of mine, who snoboards, bought a split board and hated it. I've never seen him on skis either.

I have to admit it took some time to get use to the Split, but once I did that thing rocks. It is not like a regular snowboard because there is a ton of flex. The days where I feel ski wold be better is when it is icy out. It is really hard to ride your edges when the board is really soft. Well we (I) have managed to get way off topic, which was a great day had by Ehmmic in the powder. bigdrink.gif