Critique

mattrock

Hey anyone, everyone..

Would appreciate some good feedback on a climbing site.

http://GetBeta.com - Need to know your gut reaction when you go there, explain why its good or bad and what if anything would get you to contribute to the guide or gallery.

Greatly appreciate any and all feedback (positive or negative).

Thanks in advance

Edited by mattrock

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gotta register to use? sucky.

i personally can't stand it when i gotta scroll to get all the info, especially on the home page, which was the case here.

main thing was having to register to even do a search. not worth my time, when i can go to drtopo or some other site, and there's the info, ready to go.

gotta agree with sexy here ( hi buddy I missed ya) scrolling is so suck

yeah, left/right scrolling blows.The fixed area on the left on the homepage takes up too much space. Lose the frame idea as it takes up more valuable screen space for information/pics. I'd make it all part of one page. Your orange box for typing in a search is kind of vague/ugly... i thought it was decoration not a place to type. Nice idea, I'll check it out more later.

Edited by griz

The site is built in a frameset so you dont have to reload the naivagtion everytime.These icons hep you navigate the main content frame. We think that using a frameset is more useful because if you print off some beta from our site youll see that it fits on your page without any navigation elements or advertising. laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that the browser bar thingy in the upper right corner is needless duplication.

If the only purpose of the frameset is to make it easier to print something without the nav elements or ads, then why not replace the frameset idea with a print button that loads a printer-friendly version of a page, without the extra stuff?

The days are past when repeatedly loading navigation elements should slow down your server or your clients. If you're really worried about it, just change as much of the navigation stuff you can into images so that clients can cache them.

You have some broken <A> tags that change under a mouseover even though they're not links. For example, all the checkbox labels in the Search box flash orange even though they don't link to anywhere.

The fonts are unreadably small in my browser.

Oh, and clicking Greenland took me to the Canada section of the guide. wazzup.gif

Overall, the site's a good idea. Nice work.

• 3 months later...