B.C. Interior

Eerie

I'm contemplating a week or trip to the B.C. interior in either Jan or Feb. I've got word of mouth advice to hit up Red Mtn and have seen brochures for the resort in Nelson as well as Kicking Horse in Golden. Kicking Horse looks to have amazing lift accessed steeps cantfocus.gif but is a long, long drive.

Can anyone give me recommendations on b.c. interior resorts? Looking for, in any order: steep lines, powder, small liftlines, good vibe, and cheap.

thanks for the help

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You've already nailed the top of the list.

Whitewater, 10k from Nelson

Red Mountain, just up from Rossland

Kicking Horse + Fernie, by Golden

and of course, Banff/Lake Louise, which is big and touristy.

WH20 is small, but gets great snow and has amazing b/c. Local vibe is big. Relatively high elevation. Older lifts, good feeling, great town (Nelson). I love this place, and have been back each of the past two seasons.

Red is a bit bigger, steeper, has great trees, little cliffs, everywhere. One fantastic hike-to venue with great steeps and pow. However, Red is a little lower, and can get foggy.

I've never been to Golden, but it's supposed to be the best of the bunch from a terrain perspective. A little more of a real town, and famous for fresh meat mondays at the local peeler bar (strip club), and 4k vert or something ridonkulous. Looks bitchin. But like you said, it's way up there if you're coming from Skiattle.

go git em tiger, spray on!

Edited by Cletus

Kicking Horse can be sweet with good snow. You can also just buy a 1-time gondola ride and take your skins and do laps in the upper bowls, or the enormous amount of terrain behind there.

iain-isn't this wanker doesn't ski he snowboards. send him to some over worked terrain with plenty of lifts.

hey shredmaximus,

thanks a ton for the videos, great job. The Whitewater video cemented my resolve to make it up there. Kicking Horse, ah Kicking Horse. Holy shit that place looks more amazing than I could have imagined solely from looking at the brochure. Wow!

Would you mind telling me what the storm cycle was like when you were up there? Did you hit both places after a storm came through or several days after a storm? When in the season was your trip and how good/bad was the snowpack?

Thanks a lot.... Eerie.