Mt. Hood - South Side winter ascent

SmokeShow

What's the deal with this route this time of year through March? Oregon High doesn't say much about winter conditions, nor could I find anything with a 'Hood' search on the board. Is it still a walk up (in deep snow)? Is the 'schrund completely covered? Any need to rope up near the summit? I understand the weather may be the most limiting factor?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

best time to climb it if you are a skier. The approach up to the hogsback can be a major undertaking if there's a lot of new snow and you're breaking trail, and kind of creepy at that slope angle. You can avoid much of it by heading directly to crater rock and skirt the slope by hugging the rime. The schrund is nonexistant. The rope-up choice is yours. The winter storms can be postively brutal.

What everyone else said. It is easy....in the right conditions. Last winter was awesome cause the weather was so stable compared to winters in the past. The schrund was even open in March last year. Your toughest opponent will be weather. Find a clear break, skin up, and enjoy it! The south side rarely slides, but knowing how to read the snowpack, dig test pits, and having a beacon with you is always good practice in the snowy backcountry.

A friend and I were up there a few weeks ago and there was little snow to at least the top of the lift. That was, however before the last storm, so there might be more snow. We hiked up to the top of the lift (which one hottie Timberline employee at the Silcox Hut predicted was going to be closed all winter due to massive snow!!!)and we found it hard to find any snow to ski down on. I suggest bringing snowshoes if you don't have skins on your skiis (that is if you aren't one of those knuckledraggers grin.gif) Keep an eye out on this board cuz someone here is always reporting current conditions..it has beena while since I have been up on the hogsback. as for ropes and such, well, that is up to you and your comfort level, not to mention your climbing level...just go up there and start hiking up with all the shit you think you will need, if it feels like it is beyond your ability or beyond the gear you brought, then turn around and go down like a madman! Either way, you will have fun AND get a good workout....

Hello my internet friend! wave.gif

The little airplane I have been flying actually just recently decided that it would have itself a vacuum pump failure in the middle of IMC (instrument meteorological conditions....in another words, in a soup of clouds). A vacuum pump failure means a failure of two of the most vital gyro instruments-the attitide indicator and the heading indicator. Not good by any means, especially if you have no visual reference to the horizon or the ground! But a good learning lesson in instrument training for sure....

Take care!

• 3 weeks later...
What's the deal with this route this time of year through March? Is it still a walk up (in deep snow)? Is the 'schrund completely covered? Any need to rope up near the summit? I understand the weather may be the most limiting factor?

Awesome time to go. Yes, but there wont be deep snow, as above timberline the slopes are always scoured by wind (best you'll get is some drifts). Yes. No, but really depends on you and your comfort level: The Hogsback can be steep/icy near Pearly Gates. Yes.