Nepal

Self_propelled

My wife and I will be moving to Nepal in July. She'll be the bread winner, teaching. Does anyone out there know of a guide service/rafting company or volunteer organization looking for help in Kathmandu Valley or Nepal in general?

I have no interest in 8K meter climbs, we'll be trekking around base camps mainly, but would certainly enjoy helping out at base camp or doing logistics for arrival/departures in K'du.

Send me a PM if you have a lead.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

While I don't have any specifics on permanent positions, I did see a post up on the board at the Mountaineers (in the hall outside of the bookshop) that a group is looking for somebody to take a couple of duffel bags full of stuff to Nepal to drop off for some charity efforts. I forget the specifics but the group was offering gear to anyone that would agree to make the delivery. It looked like a legitimate request and it may make you feel really good to do something for them while exploring your new home. Best of luck to you!

The organization looking for Porter deliveries is HEC - Himalayan Explorer Connection www.hec.org. I took a bag a month ago and HEC met me at the airport to pick it up.

I've been working with a group in Nepal called Room to Read (www.roomtoread.org). They are building schools and libraries, providing girls scholarships and setting up computer labs. They could definitely use help and are a GREAT group to work with. Contact: john@roomtoread.org. The founder is John Wood (a former Seattle resident)

If you have any other questions, you can email me at tamarafilm1@yahoo.com.

Namaste - Tamara

I may be just talking out my ass here (as usual), but I'd imagine that most local guide services based in Katmhandu would rather pay a Nepalese man pennies, than an American man dollars...

My buddy Matt guides over there twice a year. He may be interested in having a partner based in Katmhandu. PM me and I'll give you his #. He will be back from Pumori sometime in May.

Good Luck, have a blast over there!

Kangchenjunga region. Not many people go there. Great views of Kanch, Jannu. Good day climbs out of Pang Pema. Been there many times and have worked with Kangchenjunga School Project.Kangchenjunga School Project

Zambuling Treks & ExpeditionGPO Box: 1637, Dhumbarahi, Kathmandu, NepalPhone: 977-1-421222, Fax: 977-1-421222E-mail: zambuling@info.com.np

namastehaveaniceday.

Thanks for the info all!Tamara, I will definitely get in touch with John at HEC as I'm really looking for the right volunteer opportunity.

I'm well aware that the guide services would rather hire the cheaper local labor. Heck, I'd rather see a local get a few extra rupees too, they need it far more than I right now! They don't even have potable water in 60% of the homes in the Kathmandu Valley.

I asked about Guide Companies because, dog gone it, we may have to come back to the states someday and it might be nice to have some leads. There are also several mountain clean up expeditions just getting started this year and I'd like to get involved with one of those for next season.

I'll still be a part of CC.com while over there so if yer headed that way you can always send me a message through this site.