Who's up for a trip to NZ?...

Fairweather

Ratboy said:

Jim: Your assumptions that I only drive to trailheads is wrong. I need the clearance and interior capacity of an SUV for where I go and what I do in the mountains, not that I need to justify it to you. I'd hardly call a Toyota RAV4 "mondo", and it's far from "shiny". I have it because I need it. Sorry if that breaks your stereotypes.

Getting a bit defensive aren't we? I don't think I mention you.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim said:

Ratboy said:

Jim: Your assumptions that I only drive to trailheads is wrong. I need the clearance and interior capacity of an SUV for where I go and what I do in the mountains, not that I need to justify it to you. I'd hardly call a Toyota RAV4 "mondo", and it's far from "shiny". I have it because I need it. Sorry if that breaks your stereotypes.

Getting a bit defensive aren't we? I don't think I mention you.

Not by name, no, but it was a logical assumption given that I was the only one to mention I got mine to drive in the mountains, then you immeditealy said you didn't believe people that said they bought them to drive in the mountains.

Here is a method of transportation that could get you to New Zealand with NO greenhouse gas emissions!!!!

sailboat.jpg

The bike people make a big deal out of like 10% of people in a city commuting by bike; well in Auckland 25% of the population own sailboats. Highest % anywhere in the world, except for little villages of 10 boat owners in the san Juans or whatever . crazy.gif

Hmmm, other benefits of sailing: sea legs. possibility of using cannons. call other people 'landlubbers". Potential sailormongering. Wire gate carabiners. Nautical knots never used in climbing. Parrot and eyepatch HARRRRRRR hahaha.gif

Ratboy saidNot by name, no, but it was a logical assumption given that I was the only one to mention I got mine to drive in the mountains, then you immeditealy said you didn't believe people that said they bought them to drive in the mountains.

Then I applaud you for not owning a Tahoe, Explorer, Excursion, Legacy something-or-other, Hummer, Escalade, or any number of other shiny, asphalt-loving, yup-mobiles on the road.

iain said:

I think he is referring to this

"Rice-Boy is a stereotype. The typical Rice-Boy can be identified by his car, or rather what he does to it. Generally, Rice-Boy will start out with a car that was not meant to go fast (typically a Honda Civic), and attempt to "fix it up," usually consisting of aftermarket rims, lowering springs and an aftermarket exhaust system with a large exhaust tip. "

iain said:

if the price for gas is steep enough, people will move to avoid 30 minute commutes. That's still in biking range too.

Yeah it sounds pretty naive and simplistic but it seems to work in England, for example. When I was living there you really had to think hard about if you needed to drive somewhere or not, and this was out in the northern country where distances can be far.

In England they have a public transit system that you can take to almost anywhere. In London the Tube rocks as a way to get aroudn cheaply and efficiently, and while the trains and rails need a little repair work they still pretty much run on time and get you to your destination.

Jim said:I don't buy the "I need the mondo 4x4 rig for the mountains gig". It's not like your driving to base camp for Christ's sake. There's ROADS to the trailheads.

Not all roads are created equal. There's a lot of stuff up in BC I'd like to get to that involve long nasty 4wd roads, at least according to the guidebooks. My little all wheel drive station wagon is not up to the task, though having a partner with an SUV is an ideal solution.

JoshK,

As expected, I have upset you. Not a difficult task.

My point was not necessarily that an SUV is any more, or less efficient than a commercial airliner. I've flown on my share of aircraft bound for both business and pleasure. On the face of it, I don't have an issue with anyone flying to anywhere, for any reason. My objective was to point out the hypocricy you display in your constant harping about light trucks and stereotyping of their owners.

A formula for 747-200 fuel consumption on a 1000mi+ trip with 360 passengers on board is this: 1 liter /per person/ per 19km. Therefore, you and dad can each toss a 1 liter fuel bottle out the window at every 19km marker.

The hypocricy I point to is that a.) The trip is not "required" for business or to enable performance of any said 'duties'. Is this not the very standard you would apply to SUV ownership? Do you really 'need' this trip? b.) Even a wealthy rolleyes.gif scheming Republican like me can't afford such an extravagant trip. How can a poor, downtrodden liberal like you?

BTW: I don't think kerosene (basically, jet fuel) burns cleaner than gasoline and jet engines (even newer turbofans!) have NO pollution control equipment.

Fairweather, you haven't upset me one bit. I did, however, want to point out that your comparison wasn't a bit valid.

If you can't see the difference between flying on an airplane (yes, even for a pleasure trip) and being a soccer mom driving around town in an expedition, that is your loss.

Sure, their are many great uses for light trucks. The SUVs occasionally even have a purpose, though I would much rather have a truck with a bed. However, I think there is no problem in pointing out that the majority of people buy the thing to keep up with the jones' and, as a result, end up with a lower quality, less safe, gas guzzling vehicle.

Jim said:I don't buy the "I need the mondo 4x4 rig for the mountains gig". It's not like your driving to base camp for Christ's sake. There's ROADS to the trailheads.

Not all roads are created equal. There's a lot of stuff up in BC I'd like to get to that involve long nasty 4wd roads, at least according to the guidebooks. My little all wheel drive station wagon is not up to the task, though having a partner with an SUV is an ideal solution.

There are roads like that here in Oregon... and they lead to some pretty cool shit too...