Ski Lengths?

PaulB

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 5'9" and 165 lbs. I ski on 197 cm Tua Megas tele skis with T1s for boots. I prefer longer skis because they are more stable at high speeds and I can dip all the way down without worrying about the tip of my uphill ski getting pushed downhill of my downhill foot. Shorter skis might be nice for tight shoots, but otherwise I ski like a GS downhiller so the long boards fit my style.

I have yet to upgrade to parabolic skis so my advice may be outdated.

I don't know what a FOP is but if being a tele skier for 15 years makes me a dinosaur then I'll take it!

I just got a chance to try my new Crossbows out! They rock! They'd rock a bit harder with a slightly beefier boot(whens the Pajama sale!?). I've got Freerides & Lasers, and the lasers are a bit soft for higher speed in tight conditions. Out in Upper Heather - sweet! I've heard alot of different reviews of the ski, and the differing opinions tend to track what length was tested. Sounds like they might not have scaled it well, so definitely demo it.

I agree it all depends on your skiing manor, but if you're like me, you can ski all your life on straight skis, but once you get your first pair of shaped skis, everything changes, and your level of skiing goes up exponentially. Then you get your first pair of fat skis, then it spreads like wild fire and nothing is too fat, I have pocket rockets and they are AMAZING in everything but the ice, but who likes skiing ice if you're from the west coast. the rockets are 122/90/115 and I could see getting them wider. I have 175's but if I could I would get 185's I'm 155lbs. 5'9". But that's cause I like to smash through the pow, and I don't like going over my tips or sitting back on my tails. This comes from last year skiing at Jackson Hole and Alta, so skiing in washington is a little different and the shorter length is proving ok. But if you are on the more aggressive end, go longer, the float in the pow will be amazing, also if you're getting crossbows for tele skis, just sack up and get the tele daddies, they are SICK

I guess they could be bad for touring, but I don't see a reason for it. I took my pocket rockets with some alpine trekkers backcountry touring/yo-yoing at baker a few weeks ago with two feet of fresh and they were amazing, much better than my tua sumos that are 10 cm longer, they floated amazingly but the trekkers were a bitch and I wanted to hang myself because they are such a pain in the ass. I guess that you could say that the super fats are bad because they are heavy, it all depends on how far from the car you go and how deep of snow you're skiing. Baker is suitable since most of the tours are close to the car and the snow is REAL deep. in colorado, it might be better suited to have lighter and slightly narrower since most of the time the snow is not AS deep and it is a lot lighter.

I guess they could be bad for touring, but I don't see a reason for it.

Because they're as wide as a snowplow, and as heavy?

I suppose it depends on your definition of "touring". Mine would be multiple days out in the woods - many peoples seems to be daytrips & yoyoing.

uh ... what is a fop?

i can't wait to get out on my new skis. public enemies ... with tele bindings. oh yeah; i'll be backcountry jibbing in no time! laugh.gif

FOP = fucking old person

Sweet, let me know how ya like the PE. I thought about those and the atomic stomp, when considering my new skis... I went for a set of 'LINE' skis, MikeNick pro model; they rock... Tele bindings on PE, huh? I was thinking freerides, but what ever flowts your boat...

i was originally going to mount the enemies with freerides but they don't make AT boots my size. and i've always wanted to learn to tele anyway ... so that's how that all happened. i've been demo-ing the piste pipes lately (i'm still waiting for my g3 binding cables to show up, and they're just about identical to the enemy except for about 10% of the insides). they seem like great skis so far but i'll have a better opinion after i improve my tele skills enough to start pounding on them. the enemy seems to be the choice of everyday ski for several of the guys in the local shop here. i think they're really underrated and an awesome value if that's the kind of ski you're interested in. k2 makes great skis. volkl, too, but i have slimmer pickings when it come to nice twins since i ski 'em pretty short. never been on a line ...

There Grrrrreat! malpe core wraped in a titanium mesh... I think the enemies have the bings mounted further back from center than the Pistols, witch makes them a better al mountain ski... good choice. The line Maverick is supose to have the same basic design as the enemies, as far as dimentions go. Mine are fatter, and the rear tip is raised a bit more...

I'm going to buy another pair of pocket rockets this summer when I can make some money and mount my tele bindings on my old ones, so i have them as backcountry skis. Freerides would be nice, but I already have a tele set up and I still like to freeheel so fat skis are my ticket. Also after reading posts on this site, I've been turned away from freerides due to lack of torsional stiffness and the random releases. We'll see after a year of skiing how the new Naxo is, maybe I'll end up buying those... all I need is money does anyone know where I can find some?