Bad Encounter with Retailer

Terminal_Gravity

For what it's worth...I purchased a thermarest (3/4 ultralight) from Second Wind Sports in Hood River. I paid just $1.50 less than full MSRP and it turned out to be an "irregular" after I unpacked it on a climb. They had not represented it as such. Cascade designs says that it is only cosmetic and is still covered by warranty; so it really is no big thang. But I thought I would atleast report the sleazy practice of this particular retailer.

cheers - TG [big Drink]

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: Terminal Gravity ]

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I did talk to Cascade and they were cool, and they plan to talk to the retailer. My best guess is that if I talk to the retailer I will just get into a un-satisfing pissing match. They don't have an 800 number, nor am I in Hood River very often. I suppose that talking to them is the ethical thing to do but I just don't have the inclination to spend more of my time or money with some piece of shit manager over what amounts to a trivial matter. I will never shop there again and chalk it up to a "buyer beware" learning experience.

That being said; I think that, like WillStrickland's post about good experiences, it is worth while for us to share experinces so that we can learn from each other and hopefully not repeat errors.

As a counter to the Marmot bashing, I've had nothing but positive experiences there. The staff were knowledgeable, nice and willing to take the time to make sure I was set up right. I was in there for about 3 hours ( or maybe it just seemed like it...) when I was looking for anew pair of mountaineering boots. The guy seemed to actually like making sure that the boots were the best fit and the like. I was impressed and will go back there. Sure as hell better than REI and less elitist attitude than Feathered Friends, by my experience.

I had a shitty expereince w/ the Seattle REI. I forgot to take a bunch of tcu's out of my pocket when I left, and some meat-head dude got all upset! I's like, "dude, take a chill! I was planning on paying for 'um" He was such a stress ball!

grin.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Terminal Gravity:
For what it's worth...I purchased a thermarest (3/4 ultralight) from Second Wind Sports in Hood River. I paid just $1.50 less than full MSRP and it turned out to be an "irregular" after I unpacked it on a climb. They had not represented it as such. Cascade designs says that it is only cosmetic and is still covered by warranty; so it really is no big thang. But I thought I would atleast report the sleazy practice of this particular retailer.

cheers - TG
[big Drink]

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: Terminal Gravity ]

You went into battle with an untested Themarest!? grin.gif" border="0