HELP!!! I hate my job!!!

none_dup1

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes even i have to work on some nice days! though i do have to admit that the day off allows my "smith" crack hands to heal, and i already have logged in for getttin' sick time tommorow to spend time at the "death crag".

Hey if you guys think work is bad imagine sitting in school while the sun is shining brightly and there is nothing you can do but draw pictures of mountains....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. why cant it be beutiful on the weekends smile.gif. speaking of school i am in it right now! hahahaha then think i am doing work.

Aidan

Aidan

Aidan: My advice is to quit school right now. It can only lead to more school, then gainful employment, which is highly overrated. If you'd like to trade places, I'm happy to sit in your class and think naughty thoughts about the young fresh girls while you sit here in a suit and tie pretending to be the company's lawyer. Want to trade? This job is really fun. Honest!

I am in school also, but I graduate in 2 weeks with my finance degree. I want to take some time off, but I don't have any money. I also don't have a place to stay or a job. Should I just go ski, climb, and kayak and forget work? Or should I work for 3 months at a crappy job and then quit and take the summer off? Or should I get a job and keep it? Anyone been in this position and (be truthfull) what decision did you make?

MR.GT,

dude i am in 8th grade...i hope you dont like thinking naughty thoughts about 14 year olds. you sick sick man. hahahahahha smile.gif

Ade,

what do mean summer is coming be happy!!!!! . the tetons, rainer, baker, shuksan, the pickets, the north cascades, N. ridge of Stuart. its going to be alpine climbing for 2 mounths!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THE SUMMER

Aidan

All you can eat: the goal is to be unemployed as often as possible. I am very seriously considering ditching my job late summer/early fall and taking some time to road trip and then play around in the mountains locally. I've gotten to do that from time to time, and it seems to be one of those itches I have to keep scratching. Think of it this way: you have most of the rest of your life to work. Keep life enjoyable and do what you want to sometimes. As far as the debate of working for a short time, then quiting and playing, or not working at all, either one works. Unfortunately we all need money, one of the great evils in life, and that usually requires some work here and there. Whatever you decide, have fun.

All you can eat,

My recommendation, as lame as it might sound, get a good job as soon as possible right out of school. I was amazed at the amout of free time I have now as compared to when I was student, not to mention the fact that I now have money to buy gear and travel...and the best part...paid vacation time. I've been saving mine for a year and a half now and will use it while climbing Denali's West Rib next year...there can't be anything better than going away for a month to climb, and getting paid for it!

So, I say join the corporate masses, just don't lose the climbing bum mentality!

mr. all you can eat- I have been in your position wondering? here is my recomendation. First get a job that is punishing. You want one that beats you down and makes you want to cry for your mommy. You want to forge yourself into a stainless steel through bolted power tool.(commercial fishing, or construction are good examples) With the little money that you have earned, buy a 1 way bus ticket to Yosemite Valley. Start climbing the clasic trade routes. While you are there it's time to evolve your situation to a more stable solution. get a girlfreind who works for the curry company. This put's you in a tent cabin, a kitchen, steady food, and other benifits we won't go into. take her climbing a little. You can probably trim your overhead to about 5-6 dollars a day, and eat well every day. Start free soloing easy routes and to put in some mileage, and build your confidence.

On alternate day's do hard free climbs, and take the bus around to the boldering circuits around the valley. When you start to feel like a bad man, but more importantly, knowing you are a bad man then start doing some big wall routes.climb them as free as possible and pull up on gear to maintian to maintian speed.Try not to bivy too much. If your girlfreind dumps you when you start wall climbing & biving too much then you have a couple of options; you can get a coat hanger and "can" or at night dumpster dive for aluminum pop cans.these can be taken to the curry store and cashed in. I recommend unsing this money to help your beer habit.

if you choose this method then you will be in good company. The dumpsters are as competitive as speed ascents.

Or, you can get a job at the curry company and work part time. Either method keeps you in the valley. When fall comes if you pick the latter, you will be able to work at Squaw valley and ski all winter.In any case this should keep you fat and happy for 6-8 months living hand to mouth.

Honestly, I did this for years.

It was an exceptional part of my life. i met the best of frinds, had the best experiences, and unparalleled adventure.

As someone said"at either end of the social spectrum there exists a leisure class".

This is very true; I have been on each end of the spectrum, having spent my youth climbing every chance possible, meeting people, and traveling. When I was ready to do something different I started my own company, and become quite successful at what I do. In any case I work all over the world,and I want for little.But I find myself looking out the window like so many other corporate professional zombie's whishing I could cut loose and do whatI am recomending that you do.

Thanks for all your guy's wisdom. I appreciate it.

I have decided to hang out for a month and during that time I plan on finding a job. I need to learn what the real world is like. Hell, school is not the real world -- I play too much. I have been playing my whole life. Anyhow, my skis never last more that a few months, I am getting a bit cold in my sleeping bag, and my tent leaks. Hell, playing is expensive and since the market took a **** I can't afford it. I want new "STUFF"! Keep it coming...

a.y.c.e.,

sorry to hear that you are going to fall to the darkside. if there is one recomendation i can make is stay away from the real world. it is a dark scary place where things might seem allright, but deep down there is something amiss. i'm not sure what it is but i can say that anything to do with the profit of ohers through you is poisen for the soul. i have been to the real world and it is baddd!!!!!!!! i once was an insurance adjuster at the ripe age of 20 and fought with people over things that just don't matter. mostly money. i finally sat down after a heated argument with a person i had never met, will never meet and don't ever want to meet and came to the conclusion. i need to go to the valley. that was last july. since then i have never been heathier, climbed as hard or even stressed out about things that once did. i.e. traffic. i now have no money and love every minute of it. i piece together little jobs here and there and climb...climb...climb. fortunatly i have free rent and friends with lots of food...thanks wallstein! i have to admit that the dream has to end as i enter another four yrs of college in cali...close to the valley all can stay at my house. but you are right college is the land of honey. ican't wait to tget some.

dbb,

don't live at camp four. it costs money. though if you do have to or really want to i reccomend to go to bed late and wake up early. just poach a corner of someones camp site. be nice, bring plenty of goodies from washingotn and share your beer. you will be looked down upon and as an outsider if you drink anything other then ol' e' or the king cobra. don't tell the locals how it is where you live. they don't care. they live in the the VALLEY! be friendly and just enjoy your time. ignore the rangers at all costs and don't shop lift. lol. free showers at house keeping or currry in the late afternoon. don't eat out. and don't offend the WAY! he will eat you alive

ask wallstein for the secret...secret..wink..wink beta. buddies got the place wired.