Road conditions (Paradise entrance)

Kiwi

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vegetablebelay said:

If you live in the PNW and want to take trips to the mountains in winter, you should practice driving in the snow so you don't fear it.

They plow the road to Paradise, but you still could be driving on snowy/icy roads with "chains required" and you should always plan for this contingency when you head to the mountains.

It's not that I dread snow driving, but I'm just afraid of other drivers. I was in an accident last year cuz the all the drivers around me all couldn't drive in the snow. madgo_ron.gif

Plus, my car is shit.

No worries, I have chains.

dbb said:

Chains were required on Sunday, and there was black ice and snow-ice on a lot of the road. Gate at Longmire opened ~9:45am.

Great skiing up there though!

Is that a typical time for the opening for the gate? What time does is close at night? Can you park overnight in the Paradise parking lot in the winter? (never been up there in winter). I know nothing... cry.gif

Dustin,

I was told by a park ranger that once "winter camping regulations are in effect" (their words), you are allowed to overnight camp pretty much anywhere (except not in buildings like that public restroom facility at Paradise). Winter camping regulations go into effect when there is 5 feet of snow cover at Paradise, and 2 feet of snow cover "elsewhere". Whatever that means, I imagine winter camping rules are in affect, by now. However, as I understand it, they do NOT allow you to sleep in your car, even in winter.

There is an overnight parking at Narada falls, in addition to the overnight parking areas at Paradise. I guess it would be a good idea to use the overnight parking area, so the rangers do not get distressed thinking you are a day-hiker gone missing.

Although the official rule is that you cannot sleep in your car, I kind of doubt anyone would catch you, this time of year (assuming you are discreet). But I'm not endorsing this practice, just speculating.

This is just the information I could glean from talking to some park rangers. For the straight scoop, call (or visit) the rangers at Longmire. I think a park ranger staffs the museum thingy at Longmire after 9:00 AM on weekends.

Gate opening time depends on how much plowing they have to do beforehand. Reasonable to get there early if the night was clear, but you still may have to wait until 9 or later before leaving Longmire.

I think that if you leave your car overnight at Paradise you're supposed to park it in the small lot by the flying-saucerlike visitor center, rather than the Paradise Inn-- probably so they can plow the whole parking lot at the start of the day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...