Bolivia in May

dlando

Anyone have an opinion on when the climbing season begins in Bolivia? The guidebook I have (Yossi Brain) says May - September, and I am thinking of going in May, but I just talked to someone who has been there a few times and he says May is a bad idea - we will waste our time in storms and/or powder slogs.

Anyone been there in May?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, June definitely looks like the most popular month to go. I was just wondering if it will be a waste of money to go in May, which is the only time I have available.

For that matter, does anyone have input on where the best place in the world is to climb for two weeks in the month of May? Seems like most of the hot spots are open either earlier or later...

Go, go, go!

We were in Bolivia last May/June. Conditions were not the best, but not too-bad. There was a lot of unconsolidated/fresh snow on Huayana Potosi. The normal route gets done a lot, so that is'nt a problem. French route....different story. We wasted some time on it, wading through waist-deep powder. Look at the west face route. Speaking of wasting time...If you are planning on Illimani, I think you will be disappointed. Route conditions in Condoriri were good in may.

In Bolivia, May has the 4th least amount of precipitation for the month, behind June, July, and August respecively, according to one web site I found. But high avalanche danger keeps a lot of people off routes they want to climb, from what I hear. I haven't been there myself.

As to where in the world to climb in May, Alaska is one of the few places where May offers the most stabile weather out of the year.