train hopping?

Ursa_Eagle

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It works well for getting around in Canada!

If the boxcar you pick doesn't get filled with wood chips that is blush.gif

I rod the rails to Squamish twice but because of where the rail yard was vs. my house it was easier and faster to walk to Horseshoe Bay and hitch

I know a guy who regularly hops a freight to the Rockies though.

$203 RT gets me to Providence, RI on Delta (cheaptickets.com)

200 clams to frankfurt could be worth some splurging... I need to find out how much I'll be gettin' for unemployment, then I can figure out if I could do it.

And if I could do Mexico cheap, I'd climb Pico. Anyone else interested?

If experienced it can be a viable way to go cross-country. I would sharpen my teeth on the local fare before scaling up to a cross-country size. I will assume that you would be bringing some items of value with you on your foray. If it is your first time the chances of you returning home with these same items of value will be very low. Often times you will find that it will be very easy to get off a train and next to impossible to get back on. Invariably it's the rail yards out in nowhere that have the highest security making it next to impossible to get back on. This situation can create the unplanned bivy that can go on for many boredom filled days. When I weigh my rail hopping experience vs. my hitch hiking experience hitch hiking is always easier (and typically faster) but the railways always seem to have a higher sense of accomplishment and adventure. Good luck.

Bring a handheld cb radio, find the local truck stops and offer to lump for a ride. 'Lump' means you unload their trailer at the destination. Hard work for a long haul.

Whatever city you wind up in you can usually find a Labor Ready job office where you can "work today and get paid today."

Wasn't there some train-hopping dude that was robbing or killing people a few years ago? The hobo train was his getaway car.

I have done it out West where there are fewer rail lines. If you look at the maps, by the time you get East of the Mississippi it is one massive jumble. I road from Grand Junction Colo to Reno one summer. It was a blast, and weird and dangerous, and beautiful. Doing it in the winter would be brutal on the exposure level.