Sweet Ice glove

Lambone

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been on a major search for something to keep my hands warm this winter. Ive got a pair of marmot waterproof mits and some fleece liners (tho it hasnt been cold enough to use them). The cloudveil ice flo gloves kick ass for dexterity, but below 30 degrees my hands freeze. mad.gif I found a good deal on some whitesmoke (?) gloves from patagonia which might do the trick. Unfortunately they are two different sizes...one being just a tad too large....and no way to exchange them.

Something that has been helpful is using crazy creek's thermaband. They wrap around your wrist allowing you to put a handwarmer in its pocket. THis way you are warming up the blood flowing to your fingers. So far I have noticed it gives me a warmer temp 'base'. Doesnt work well if you are using leases though. Leashless also allows you to shake out your hands easier and get the blood flowing again. Ah yes...and swinging your arms like a windmill a zillion times before hitting the climb makes a world of difference.

Anyway, probly stuff you all know already...any other tips or glove suggestions for an extrodinarily cold fingered creature is always welcomed!

Lambone said:

BD drytool gloves are like $60 also, these are way better...much warmer. bigdrink.gif

like everyone in canmore i use rubber palm construction gloves for dry-tooling. best grip and since you don't work with your forearm as hard, your hands don't get as cold. $3.99 at your local hardware store. i just use regular ski gloves. mountain hardware makes good cheap gloves. with your ski gloves you can use seam-seal to make a better palm. put seam seal into hot water. then paint it onto the surface. pour some large grain lalt or sugar to add texture and then wash it off with water in few hours.

for dry-tooling like i said- your hardware store has insulated gloves used in construction. just buy like 3 or 4 pairs, so when they get wet you can change them.

a pair of warm fleece gloves with mittens from mec will get you through the colder days.

the $100 shoeller gloves is nothing but marketing hype.

yeah, all that shit sounds like alot of work...I'll paythe 60 bucks...if they last a season I am happy...a good pair of gloves is key.

carolyn, I learned to ice climb in mittens...placing screws and all that in them. But I found that my hand get less cold in a thin glove for some reason. I keep mits clipped on the back of my harness for the belays.

Lambone said:

yeah, all that shit sounds like alot of work...I'll paythe 60 bucks...if they last a season I am happy...a good pair of gloves is key.

carolyn, I learned to ice climb in mittens...placing screws and all that in them. But I found that my hand get less cold in a thin glove for some reason. I keep mits clipped on the back of my harness for the belays.

lot's of work, like a whole 10 minutes!you must have money pouring out of your ass. i go through about 2 pairs of gloves a season, so even with a wholesale price from bd it would cost me $140-160. add about 3 sets of picks a season, new crampons every other year and i need to start robbing banks to pay for all that shit.

the reason your hands do get colder with your thick gloves/mitts is simple. your forearm muscles work very hard to hang on to the tools, so they cut off your blood circulation to your hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Might be that you're swinging too hard;you want a good solid placement,but over doing it causes more dinnerplating in hard ice,makes it harder to remove your tools for the next placement,which cuts down your smoothness and speed,which in turn saps your strength,stamina and endurance,etc.,etc.All you need is enough of a swing to set the picks firmly enough to climb;that will vary depending on how steep or overhanging the pitch is.

You may well be aware of all this; but I've been climbing for over 35 yrs and still find myself in need of a reminder at times from my partners when I slip into bad habits.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Relax your mind,relax your mind,you got to relax your mind...."

-Country Joe and the Fish

grin.gif

Hi, Carolyn! happy great white north, eh? I always had good luck up there with mitts, for sure! OR or a nicer kind with leather palms, if you could find some trigger finger mitts with leather palms and removable liners,

but as to gloves in general, Varmit mountain verks and other top gear manufacturers are working closely with offshore sweatshops to develop an extremely weak glove seam construction! This coupled with exceeding the 100 dollar barrier for gloves and hyping the "performance" of one type of handshue for this and another for that, I' bet some people have, literally, hundreds of dollars in handwear. I know I do! :lmao

hmm, perhaps I'm too sublte...lambone's a good buddy of mine, I just wanted to flip some shit his way. I love the way glassgow decided to accost and ream on him for no reason other than to build a mighty pulpit that he could preach from. My comment on the picks was meant to shine a little light on this; it's vouge to blast through as many picks as you can in a season so that you can sport a badge on your sleave--"I'M GNARLY!! I WEAR OUT PICKS!!! I USE SUB-PAR GLOVES WHILE POSTURING ABOUT THE SPORT CRAGS!! gNARLY gNARL gNARLY..."