Poaching Lines

Bronco

Figger_Eight said:

Word. What's up with all the tougher-than-thou attitudes? Yeah...the backcountry is where you go to get away from the rules - but it's also where I go to avoid the assholes who you find at resorts. If it's a first run off the lifts - absolutely it's a free for all. But if I get to the top of a powder field we all had to hike up to, see some guys taking their skins off and getting ready to go down I'll chat 'em up and wait my turn - especially if I'm using the skin track they put in. If they're eating lunch...that's a different story.

Well put...Actually, I couldn't agree with you more, Figger Eight rockband.gif

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bronco said:

Cletus said:

Just a little food for thought. Seems like the oh-so-touted climbers ethics are a bit of a double standard if you change sports.

Sorry, I didn't explain that I had gone all the way to the top of the ridge and about half way down the run I encountered the dudes who had just skinned up to the top of a glade. This is across the street from Stevens Pass Resort and a popular yo yo destination, from what I gather.

So it's more like if I were on a multipitch route and some goobers walk onto the route on a ledge half way up the route and stand around at the belay. Would I be a dick to climb through? No! Should I stand around and wait for them to gear up? No.

oh well in THAT case, fuck em. You're already skiing down from the top, right? Maybe take a slightly different line around them, but hey, maybe they should have gotten up earlier.

The principle is still the same - the first party gets to go first unless they give up the privildge. And in this case, you were first, no?

My hair, it is perfect, no?

Edited by Cletus

all this bullshit about what you would... make your decision at the time, depending on the circumstance... my comments were directed towards little whining #$%^s that would sweat it. every sitchmo is diiffernt, every person is diff, do what you feel is right and be ready to put a crying little #$%^ in his place... or make some happy little friends, and you can all spoon down the slope together weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee rolleyes.gif-bp

Cletus said:

you seem to be saying that untracked powder is one time thing. If I beat you to it, maybe you should come back after the next storm.

Anyway, there's a big difference between what you said - asking to climb through/ski by - and simply dropping in. If a party is having lunch, for instance, okay, itd be nice if you asked, but not essential. If they're gearing up to go shortly, I think its dumb, irresponsible, and petty. And if I'm within a minute or two of dropping in, I'll be catching you shortly, and won't have any reservations about jamming my pole up your ASS.

On the other hand, some people like that sort of thing. Not that there's anything wrong with that. laugh.gif

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

I whole heartedly agree!!!

just find another line, or slice one down to the side of the main line, or pay the consequences...

Figger_Eight said:

E_cock said:

Yup it's a dog-eat-dog world out there in those big-bad powder slopes, best not go limp in your youth fellas. rolleyes.gif

...unless I saw ECock de-skinning. In which case I'd kick him in the nads, throw his skis down the hill and break his poles over his head. boxing_smiley.gifthe_finger.gif

well put...i couldn't agree with you more, figger eight rockband.gifrolleyes.gif-bp

Cletus said:

a semi-serious reply.

if you came up on someone obviously gearing up at a base of a climb, would you go right up and start leading the first pitch? where I come from, the answer is no.

why is this any different?

Just a little food for thought. Seems like the oh-so-touted climbers ethics are a bit of a double standard if you change sports.

Hypocrisy, or not?

Personally, if you ski under me while I'm preparing to safely rip my line, you will get what is coming to you eventually. Karma is a bitch - do this sort of thing too much and someone is going to drop a slab or a cornice on your ass. I think its poor form, demonstrates a poor sense of ethics, and is generally an idiotic thing to do. Take a slightly different line, or wait 5 minutes.

Sorry I'd do the same thing if some one is gearing up or is geared up at the base and they are just standing around. I am going to hop on the damn route. I don't go to the crag or slope to stand around. I am there to climb or ride.

bobbyperu said:

all this bullshit about what you would... make your decision at the time, depending on the circumstance... my comments were directed towards little whining ^&*%s that would sweat it. every sitchmo is diiffernt, every person is diff, do what you feel is right and be ready to put a crying little #$%^ in his place... or make some happy little friends, and you can all spoon down the slope together weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee rolleyes.gif-bp

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Edited by snoboy

really??

if I had my rope out, harness on, was tied in, on belay, and was simply racking up to go, you'd get right on the route?

interesting.

At some point, I learned how not to be an asshole. Maybe you missed that part of childhood?

Nah, you're just trolling for another response, right? Right? Eh, comrade? Eh? Eh?

Well, I'm not going to fall for THAT trick.

Oh, wait. Damn. Just did. laugh.gif

Edited by Cletus

No, all freshiez are mine! If I see you at my TH in BC, then I will slash your tires to teach you a lesson! Now that I have booties for my pit bull, I will sick Panama on all those who dare to try to stand above a run I will ski. He will feast on your blood while I lap the fresh!!!

Good boy!

Panama.jpg

skykilo said:

No, all freshiez are mine! If I see you at my TH in BC, then I will slash your tires to teach you a lesson! Now that I have booties for my pit bull, I will sick Panama on all those who dare to try to stand above a run I will ski. He will feast on your blood while I lap the fresh!!!

Good boy!

Panama.jpg

This pup looks just like this tweaker's dog I used to know named, appropriately enough "Lockjaw." Imagine taking this dog to the leash-free area of the park and screaming "NO LOCKJAW NO!!!"

Cletus said:

really??

if I had my rope out, harness on, was tied in, on belay, and was simply racking up to go, you'd get right on the route?

interesting.

At some point, I learned how not to be an asshole. Maybe you missed that part of childhood?

Nah, you're just trolling for another response, right? Right? Eh, comrade? Eh? Eh?

Well, I'm not going to fall for THAT trick.

Oh, wait. Damn. Just did. laugh.gif

Dude if you are moving along that is a different story. If you are standing around, yeah I am going to hop on the route or send the line.

E-rock said:

I've been snaked by some well-known crusties in the Wasatch. Live and learn!

However, if someone broke trail and you were the johnny-come-lately backcountry barnacle who happens to arrive while the trail-breakers are still making their snow stability assessment and you drop in. Well, that just makes you a stupid dick.

There is such a thing as back-country etiquette and it's been around for a LONG time.

If you follow some guys skin tracks to the top of a run and then snake him cause he's resting before skiing a slope then you suck, otherwise all is fare.

lI1|1! said:

IF YOU SEE A NICE POWDER LINE AND THERE IS SOME RED TAPE AT THE TOP IF IT IT MEANS IT'S SOMEBODY'S PROJECT SO SHOW SOME RESPECT HOMIES!

fuck you, if you try claiming a stash somewhere and you're no where close to it, it's fair game, you'd better not toss a hissy fit when i rip the shit out of it and you fall the whole way down because I will cut your throat you powder hoarding bitch! madgo_ron.gif

P.s. you'd better be kidding