Are reservations needed for the Tilly Jane AFrame?

Gaper_Jeffy

A few weeks ago my girly and I were going to go to the A Frame (we eventually cancelled due to weather). So I called up the Hood River ranger district to ask how I could make reservations. They transferred me about 3 times then gave me the number of same guy who didn't work with the forest service. So I called up this guy and he put us done on a list then proceeded to give me directions like I was a clueless gaper.

From the tone of the gentleman's voice it sounded like I didn't need reservations unless I was bringing a large group. Is this correct?

Gaper Jeffey

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I understand it, and its been a while since I made my inquiry, you do in fact need reservations for large groups. However, its was also explained to me that even if you have reservations you CANNOT turn anyone away if they show up. My memory is a little fuzzy on this but I think you ahve to go through the Hood River Crag Rats to make reservations. I wanted it over christmas one year and was told that a family had laid claim to it over the holidays for several years now.

Ask Nonanon--he would be the man with the information.

One time two friends of mine and I skinned up with the intention of climbing the Cooper Spur. We stopped at the hut "just to warm up" for a minute. When we walked in three guys were drinking wine out of a box that they had hauled up on a sled. They offered some wine to us and of course we accepted. Three more glasses, a couple bowls and an hour or more we staggered out the door back on our way. I think we made it above treeline before bivvying but that was about it.

That's the story. No reservations are required for small groups. Tho’ what constitutes a "large" group hasn't been very well defined. Hopefully, common sense and courtesy will prevail and no one’ll get bent when I crash their scout troop or church social. Also, there’s a larger stove in the cook hut this year, so overflow or early risers can head over there. Have fun.

nonanon said:

Also, there’s a larger stove in the cook hut this year, so overflow or early risers can head over there. Have fun.

Elaborate, please. I've been to the A-frame a few times. What's the cook hut?

Also, the Hood River nordic club has a nice cabin on the other side of the creek in Tilly Jane campground. I think it cost $65 a night, but sleeps 15 or so people. It has a propane stove and lights, so you're paying for convenience.

• 2 weeks later...

TJ Pub Club? thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

J,

The old guard station cabins are owned by the Forest Circus, but maintinence and reservations are being handled by the Dalles chapter of the ONC. Good luck trying to get a res from them. I tried three years in a row. How come the Mazama's don't have a cabin up there? Everyone else does! rolleyes.gif