More good quotes?

Dru

We had a good quote thread last year, mostly from climbers. All the usual suspects go trotted out like Harding pulling over the lip on the Nose and Mark Twight eating GU and whatnot. So lets start a new thread of non-climbers quotes' which taken out of context seem to be about climbing.

Here is my first offering:

"In 'reality', also, I choose to fall." - Andre Breton, First Manifesto of Surrealism.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"you're clearas a heavy lead curtain want to drill you.like an ocean we can work it outnow im running outyeah im running outdont forget about it baby"

Bad Religion, "Infected"

Dude is confused, is he a drilling sport climber or a runout trad? And that heavy curtain sounds more like ice climbing.

"Solo, I'm a soloist on a solo list, all live, never on a floppy disc" - that's Zach de la Rocha but it could be John Bachar!

[ 04-09-2002: Message edited by: Dru ]

"We took risks. We knew we took them. Things have come out against us. We have no cause for complaint."

Found in Admiral Scott's diary in Antarctica, after the entire party froze to death.

Could be said of anyone who's spent the night on an unplanned bivy. Or worse... shocked.gif" border="0

[ 04-09-2002: Message edited by: sobo ]

quote:

Originally posted by rbw1966:
"I've tripped and I can't come down"

[laf][laf]

ok, ok, here's another one, from Cheers:

Woody the barkeep: "Hey Mr. Peterson, can you I get you a second beer?"

Norm: "Yeah, sure Woody. I'm gonna need something to do between the first and the third."

How many climbers can relate to that, eh? wink.gif" border="0

"Not everything that I have done in my life has been absolutely necessary"

- Reinhold Messner At a slideshow

"The wind it was howlin' and the snow was outrageous.We chopped through the night and we chopped through the dawn.When he died I was hopin' that it wasn't contagious,But I made up my mind that I had to go on."

- Bob Dylan, sounding like an ice climber Isis, Desire

[Wazzup]

Chiggers, ticks, gnats, nits. Cicadas. Millipedes, centipedes, omnipedes, minipedes, pincerheads, poison toads, land leeches, skinks. Palmetto bugs. Iguanas, fer-de-lance, wolf spiders, diggers, buzzers, hissers, stinkers. Oonipids. Spitting spiders. Ants. Mites. Flits. Whips. Misquitoes.

-T. Coraghessan Boyle "Green Hell"

quote:

Originally posted by Slide:
Chiggers, ticks, gnats, nits. Cicadas. Millipedes, centipedes, omnipedes, minipedes, pincerheads, poison toads, land leeches, skinks. Palmetto bugs. Iguanas, fer-de-lance, wolf spiders, diggers, buzzers, hissers, stinkers. Oonipids. Spitting spiders. Ants. Mites. Flits. Whips. Misquitoes.

-T. Coraghessan Boyle "Green Hell"

Knowing TC Boyle that is what he ate for lunch, right?

grin.gif" border="0

"Don't get me started" "One time at band camp..." -spraying climbers

Knowledge without courage is sterile -Balthasar Gracian

1. Think of what is right and true.2. Practice and cultivate.3. Become aquainted with the arts.4. Know the principles of the crafts.5. Understand the harms and benefits.6. Learn to see accurately.7. Become aware of the non-obvious.8. Be careful even in small matters.9. Do not do anything useless. -Miyamoto Musashi from The Book of Five Rings

The "Heavy Stone" paradox is an example of divine trundling.

"Above a certain point, the higher another point appears to be, the lower it actually is." - Mark Twain

"At this very moment you are directly above[long pause] the center of the earth!" Baba Rum Rasin saying what I think on a summit.

Only the half mad are wholly alive. -who said that?

Do, or do not... there is no try. -Yoda liek i said, don't get me started.

"If there was no such thing as God, man would have made one up anwyway." -Voltaire

"...Wake up late and take the credit card to the liquor storeWell that's two for me and one for youCause tonight...I'll be rollin' like a freight trainFlyin like an airplanefeelin like a space brainone more time tonight."

- (Axl Rose) Appetite for Destruction

Wallflower seed on the sand and stoneMay the four winds blow you safely home.-GD

Now you see this one-eyed midgetShouting the word "NOW"And you say, "For what reason?"And he says, "How?"

And you say, "What does this mean?"And he screams back, "You're a cowGive me some milkOr else go home"-bob dylan

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company, a church, a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past..., we cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitude."

-I can't remember who said it.

Hate to get religious on you Nacho, but that quote is from Chuck Swindell or some other preacher like that, can't remember which one but I've definitely seen the quote before.

Come on, with an attitude like that you can't hope to have a victim mentality grin.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by nolanr:
Hate to get religious on you Nacho, but that quote is from Chuck Swindell or some other preacher like that, can't remember which one but I've definitely seen the quote before.

Come on, with an attitude like that you can't hope to have a victim mentality
grin.gif" border="0

Hell if I know, it was on a poster at the place I worked in Tacoma last year.

quote:

Originally posted by MysticNacho:
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. <big snippers> And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitude."

-I can't remember who said it.

I almost certain that was Dr. Wayne Dyer, one of those pseudo-religious, self-help guru guys. But i could be wrong...

quote:

Originally posted by nolanr:
Slight paraphrase: "I wouldn't want to join any club that would have me as a member."
[laf]
Just can't remember who said it.

Groucho Marx

And boy does that quote have relevance here... grin.gif" border="0

[ 04-09-2002: Message edited by: sobo ]