Info needed: Kamloops/Sun Peaks Ice & Backcountry

Tod

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the CAJ the routes were put up by Ross Cloutier. Isn't he your teacher at UCC Stefan????

Anyways the climbs listed in 1988 CAJ are: Spahats Falls Cone - overhanging ice - loc. Spahats Falls campground 12km N of Clearwater.

Candle Creek Falls - 2 pitch climb with 10 minute downhill approach and finishes at car. 4km north of Clearwater on the park road.

The Candle - also at Candle Creek. One pitch up a 2m diameter pillar.

Bear Creek falls - 200m long route at 6km on Bear Creek road. May require a 3 km ski in.

No grades are given but some of those sound harder than others.

Go gettem and report here what you find! It says Helmcken Falls was still unclimbed in the 1980's.

salbrecher said:

You can do some touring in the backcountry at the top of one of the Burfield Chair. Sun Peaks runs a cat skiing operation back their but you can ski back and poach it. When are you going to be their till?

That looked like a possibility from the trail map. I'm thinking I'll get a map in Kamloops that will help detail that and other possibilities out. I'm going to be there from 12/30 to 1/4 with some friends for a ski holiday. One of my buddies who I backcountry and climb with is going to be there so we figured we'd check out some of the local action if there is any.

Lambone said:

Marble Canyon is only about 45min-1hr from Kamloops.

Just pulled out my West Coast Ice book and scoped it out. That looks like a good possibility. Any other recomendations that are closer to Kamloops?