Blackcomb ice

Fromage

I don't ski, but some friends of mine are trying to drag me up to Whistler anyway at some point this season. I have heard stories of water ice routes forming on Blackcomb Mountain. I would go to Whistler if I could spend a couple days ice climbing while my buds ski. Apparently you take a lift up and then ski over to the climbs. I think I could accomplish this, even if it means falling down the whole way. Anyway, I have seen photos of these climbs, and some look decent. References to ice climbing on guiding sites provide further circumstantial evidence.

The problem is that I can't find a map for them. Basically I need to know which lift to take, where to get off, and where to go. Anyone know of such map? Does one exist?

I have climbed at Weeping Wall south of Whistler, and I have done the approach to a climb that is north of Whistler near some lake, so I suppose those would be cheaper alternatives to the mountain, but since they are much lower in elevation they might not form as well.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

a few years ago we couldn't find any ice in littlewet so we ended up taking the lift up (they sell a one use ticket for like $20can) and skiing down the blackcomb glacier and then back along a cat track trail. about half way down there was something up to the left called "a day at the office". it was a pretty forgetable experience so i'd have to say you'd need to be desperate. might be more stuff i don't know about.

you could always just start learning to ski, eh? smile.gif

Dru said:

do you mean moaning tree wall south of whistler?

That must be it. There was a large dead tree leaning up against the wall on the right side.

I find it difficult to keep Weeping Wall, Deeping Wall, Seeping Wall, Keeping Wall, Sleeping Wall, Beeping Wall, Leaping Wall, Heaping Wall, Jeeping Wall, Peeping Wall, and Reaping Wall straight. Thanks for the pointer.