"Tele" turns on AT gear

David_Parker

David_Parker said:

Do any of you AT skiiers ski down with your heels unlocked? If so, Why?

I just got my first AT setup and I was trying it out on Sunday at Stevens. I was skiing with a friend who had never skied before and we were doing laps on a green run wazzup.gif. I tried skiing with my heels free for a run and tired to force a couple of tele turns but it felt dumb and I found it much easier to just parallel turn with my heels free. I think when you are on a moderate slope like that parallel turning with your heels free seems very similiar to heels locked. Maybe I wasn't going fast enough though. Had I not been with my friend I would have probably still tired it just to see how it felt and to see if I could do it.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

iain said:I've found Paul Parker's Freeheel Techniques book to be helpful (it has a lot of advice for parallel technique too), but all the bad stuff is in muscle memory now.

Have you checked out Allen & Mikes Telemark Ski Book? I found reading 1 or 2 tips from there, then focusing on those for the day helped me progress beyond the intermediate stage of teleskiing. Paul's book just has too much for my pea brain to remember on the hill.

cj001f said:Have you checked out Allen & Mikes Telemark Ski Book? I found reading 1 or 2 tips from there, then focusing on those for the day helped me progress beyond the intermediate stage of teleskiing. Paul's book just has too much for my pea brain to remember on the hill.
Yeah, but Parker's book has some good advice for parallel technique, even if he is focused on freeheel. Yes there is a ton of stuff in there, but what I do is select one or two things and really focus on them each time I go out. Seems like a lot of skiing is go with what feels good, and too many tips on the brain can lead to overanalysis and subsequently terrible skiing yellaf.gif

little things like lifting your outside arm on jump turns and skiing from the waist up really helped me awhile back.