Did someone say Mounties????

willstrickland

Well, they may be good for making fun of, but I have noticed that in many of these photographs people are wearing great big smiles on their faces. They are having a grand time- perhaps more fun than when they actually become "veteran" climbers. I've decided I'm always going to try to have fun when I climb, even if it sometimes means doing something easy. If it's not fun then why do it?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, they may be good for making fun of, but I have noticed that in many of these photographs people are wearing great big smiles on their faces. They are having a grand time- perhaps more fun than when they actually become "veteran" climbers. I've decided I'm always going to try to have fun when I climb, even if it sometimes means doing something easy. If it's not fun then why do it?

1) sometimes the experience itself is not fun but it feels good afterwards to have done it.

2) i think you have a point. i rarely see experienced climbers grinning like they overdosed on prozac while walking down a low angle 10 foot long slab, or while rappelling off a 5 foot high cliff, or while fashion modelling shorts, polypro and seattle sombrero yellaf.gif

Remember Alex Lowe? Alex was a pretty smart guy and a darn good climber. He once said that the best climber was the one having the most fun.

that is just some crap line guides tell their clients when conditions suck so they wont complain. dont believe it. the real shizzle is right here: the higher you are the higher you are.

That line may is very true, but it has been tainted by overquoting by people who are full of shit. Using that quote in this respect is just a way for someone to be self--rightous.

To further deflate your balloon, I heard from several sources that Alex Lowe was a dick. There is no best climber, there will always be someone way better than you, although it certainly isn't the mounties.

I also believe that most of the newbie use of the word "fun" is only a mask to hide the fact that they realize the sport they thought was gonna be cool, turns out to be painful, shitty, dead-ending, and meaningless. We make fun cuz they try sooo hard to make it look like they're enjoying themselves...

...It's like the 1st day of work when your super nice and cheerful when you're really scared and want to go home and you realize there's no way your gonna be working this crappy jop 5 years from now.

The BEST climbers stick through it regardless, for their own reasons, FUN being one maybe, but most I'll wager stick with it reasons other than fun.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also believe that most of the newbie use of the word "fun" is only a mask to hide the fact that they realize the sport they thought was gonna be cool, turns out to be painful, shitty, dead-ending, and meaningless. We make fun cuz they try sooo hard to make it look like they're enjoying themselves...

The BEST climbers stick through it regardless, for their own reasons, FUN being one maybe, but most I'll wager stick with it reasons other than fun.

masochism?

There was a whole shitload of them at MT Erie this weekend. They would have made a great picture but I couldn

t get the camera out fast enough. Gators and all. One of my climbing partners is a Montie, I have to watch what I say.

What the hell Dave please I have seen them mounties out in action and they don't move fast at all. Oh wait just a second, I see I see, you were part of that mountie group. yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

• 2 months later...