Sierras in June

nolanr

Travel arrangements are already made, so it's too late to change them. Just curious though. I'm going to visit my bro and his family at Edwards AFB 6/8-6/16. The 2 of us are going to play around in the Sierras, probably head up to Yos. In a typical year is there still a lot of snow at that point, or is it getting fairly melted out? We're not doing anything on big walls, mostly hiking and maybe a little scrambling. I'm particularly interested in the Cathedral Range/Ritter Range. Was down there last year in mid August, Muir Wilderness/Kings Canyon NP near Bishop, and everything was pretty well scorched by then, only snow was a few small glaciers on N faces.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a typical year June is a great time to be in Yosemite/the Sierras. A little early to be way up high, like in the Palisades/Whitney areas, but even that is still doable. I have camped on snow at the base of Cathedral peak in July, but that was a very heavy snow year - generally no problem in June. Hwy 120 through Toualumne Meadows should open just before Memorial Day weekend.

The great thing about the Sierras, and unlike the PNW, is that even if you end up approaching on snow, your chances of being rained/snowed on while clinbing in June are not too high.

quote:

Originally posted by nolanr:
Travel arrangements are already made, so it's too late to change them. Just curious though. I'm going to visit my bro and his family at Edwards AFB 6/8-6/16. The 2 of us are going to play around in the Sierras, probably head up to Yos. In a typical year is there still a lot of snow at that point, or is it getting fairly melted out? We're not doing anything on big walls, mostly hiking and maybe a little scrambling. I'm particularly interested in the Cathedral Range/Ritter Range. Was down there last year in mid August, Muir Wilderness/Kings Canyon NP near Bishop, and everything was pretty well scorched by then, only snow was a few small glaciers on N faces.

I was in Yosemite Easter Weekend. If anything this is a slightly below average year, meaning it should be decently melted out but early June. The valley was devoid of snow, and most of the snow within view of the valley should be gone by the end of the month. I'm headed up to Mt. Dana, etc. weekend after next - if your still curious I'll post the conditions I found.

Carl

I was in the Tahoe last week. The local news reporter said that the annual moisture content survey showed that it has been a wetter than average year. They got dumped on hard in November and December.

Regardless, there is tons of stuff to do in the Sierras mid June. I'd suggest bringing light gaitors, light flexi crampons, and a light axe. That extra gear will tame any Sierra snowfield you might run into in June.

More importantly, BRING LOTS OF BUG SPRAY! And possible head nets depending on your tolerance level. Watch your food around the bears, and apply for any permits you may need NOW.

Have a blast, the Sierras kick ass.

quote:

Originally posted by Lambone:[QB]I was in the Tahoe last week. The local news reporter said that the annual moisture content survey showed that it has been a wetter than average year. They got dumped on hard in November and December.QB]

Moisture Content surveys say 75%.http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/current/PlotSWCThe Rangers I talked to, while they were doing the snowpack survey, seemed to think it was below in Yosemite. If your in no hurry to plan you should have a good idea what conditions will be like in another month. Otherwise plan to bring an axe. You won't have to worry about weather though smile.gif" border="0

Carl

You were at Tahoe Easter weekend, right? The snowpack was almost 100% then - they had a whole bunch of articles talking about it. Then we had a week of warm and sunny. It was 70 in the high country Easter Sunday. Nuked the snowpack. All of the skiiers on the East Side are complaining. Anyways the place to check for depth measurements ishttp://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow/current/snow/courses.htmlBut it'll be a couple weeks before the next data is up.Carl

[ 04-09-2002: Message edited by: cj001f ]

Thanks for the replies all. Sounds like conditions should be pretty decent. So, the bugs are a problem, eh?

What I couldn't figure out, when I was down there last year, they have less average snowpack and moisture than the Cascades, but there are lakes absolutely everywhere. There's places I've been in Montana/Wyoming that had a lot of alpine lakes, too, but not that much I don't think. Where does all the water come from? [Wazzup] And hasn't LA figured out a way to steal all of it yet? grin.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by nolanr:
Thanks for the replies all. Sounds like conditions should be pretty decent. So, the bugs are a problem, eh?

What I couldn't figure out, when I was down there last year, they have less average snowpack and moisture than the Cascades, but there are lakes absolutely everywhere. There's places I've been in Montana/Wyoming that had a lot of alpine lakes, too, but not that much I don't think. Where does all the water come from?
[Wazzup]
And hasn't LA figured out a way to steal all of it yet?
grin.gif" border="0

LA & SF both! Just think of all the big walls in Hetch Hetchy! Makes one almost want to cry!

As for the lakes - it's all about the granite. Wind Rivers start to compare, depending on. A good sleeping pad is much appreciated out in the Range of Light. Enjoy the trip - and bring the DEET!

Carl

I just returned from the Evolution basin. Mt Lamark, Mt. Darwin, etc... access was via Lake Sabrina and the corn snow was f'n deep. In June you should be fine, carry an ax at all times and keep an eye on avalanche/rockfall danger, as I just experienced both. The Sierras are bad ass....

Sierra mosquitos can be horrendous in june, but during the early summer they are going to be mostly at the lower elevations (6000-9000 ft) if you stay at the higher elevations above the snow line, they shouldn't be bad. As the snow line moves up, so do the mosquitos. I've spent months at a time in the high sierra, and have found that you might as well leave DEET at home. If you get the mosies bad, its useless; plus it attracts bears and makes you feel greasy. Bring a light, longsleeve shirt (old dress shirt is great) and light pants and tuck a bandana under your hat. Its the only way to keep them off you, and it protects you from sunburn under the intense sun.

quote:

Originally posted by kevin:

Sierra mosquitos can be horrendous in june, but during the early summer they are going to be mostly at the lower elevations (6000-9000 ft) if you stay at the higher elevations above the snow line, they shouldn't be bad. As the snow line moves up, so do the mosquitos. I've spent months at a time in the high sierra, and have found that you might as well leave DEET at home. If you get the mosies bad, its useless; plus it attracts bears and makes you feel greasy. Bring a light, longsleeve shirt (old dress shirt is great) and light pants and tuck a bandana under your hat. Its the only way to keep them off you, and it protects you from sunburn under the intense sun.

DEET does not attract bears. hippy citronella attacts bears, and trustafarians. And DEET does keep the mosquitos and black flies from biting you. But not from landing on you...

Shouldn't I be able to fend off the damn bloodsuckers w/ the ice axe and crampons? And it can't be as bad as AK can it, from whence all mosquitoes come? You know, it's the state bird. The big ones are called B-52's and the little ones are called no-see-ums. [big Grin]

[ 04-15-2002, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: nolanr ]

sorry dru

the bear comment wasn't to be taken seriously. However, I have yet to find bug juice that didn't contain added scents, which, if you want to get picky, are attractive to bears.

The only message I hoped to impart with my post was that, in my experience, bugs will bite regardless of bug juice. And, as a suggestion for those who haven't ever had to battle with the buzzing swarms, the only real pretection is a physical barrier, ie loose fitting, light clothing. If your sucseptible to "bug stress" it can make all the difference.