Timmy O'Neill at UW, Mon Dec 8 SPRAY EXTENSION

marylou

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it is all about knowing ( or trying to any way) your audiance. I must say that I do not think that I am the best at this... I have joked arround with people in a sugestive way, and they do not understand that I am indeed JOKING. SOme people understand my hummor and others do not. grin.gif

scrambler said:

UW or some other university should offer a graduate seminar course to discuss Muffy's writing. There's so many damn layers to it, so many meanings to be gleaned from a single line of her writing.

And the misspellings? 'Hummor', how much fun can you have with that?

There is only one solution, muffy is the reincarnation of James Joyce! cantfocus.gif

Alex said:

marylou said:

Event planning is harder than it looks. In the real world to rent a room and do a slide show, it would be this much hassle and more.

Sheeeet, where's 'ol Beck when you need him??

pitty.gif

where's Jon? He even managed to organize sausages!

I think its bullshit that a man can insult a man and its generally acceptable on here but you insult a woman (a particular woman who deigns to speak for all women) and you are a mysoginist. wazzup.gif

Monsieur Strickland: you may be surprised to note that in order of ranking of the numbers of breast implants in the nation it goes something like this (I am culling this from memory):

Texas

Florida

Oregon

California

I prefer the au naturel look myself.

Hats off to Gary for making the effort at organizing the slide show. bigdrink.gif

I too live the academic life, on the other side of the desk after ten years as a student at some level or other. What surprises me is that UW wouldn't have a more robust support office for this kind of thing. In any case, the campus ain't a free range, so if you want your space unlocked without the Goth Gamerz lurking inside it, you gotta work with the people who are trying to help you set it up. At my current college, they play it fast and loose with space reservations and AV equipment, and I can say I'd be happy to jump through the hoops to get stuff sorted out before the show. I've called Gary a whiner in the past couple months, though, so I'll leave it at a sincere congrats for dealing with the red tape.

The thing is, I've seen guys tell each other seriously flaming shit on this board and not get dogpiled nearly as often as when a woman breaks off a flame. confused.gif

rbw1966 said:

I think its bullshit that a man can insult a man and its generally acceptable on here but you insult a woman (a particular woman who deigns to speak for all women) and you are a mysoginist. wazzup.gif

Is that "rule" cramping your style? Seems like you should be able to function admirably with the slight handicap of having to avoid female-specific insults, or is that all you got?

Or is this a martyr thing? cry.gif

Al_Pine said:

rbw1966 said:

Is that "rule" cramping your style? Seems like you should be able to function admirably with the slight handicap of having to avoid female-specific insults, or is that all you got?

Not sure how you put that together Al but I'm hardly a martyr. Just pointing out the hypocrisy.

rbw1966 said:

Al_Pine said:

rbw1966 said:

Not sure how you put that together Al but I'm hardly a martyr. Just pointing out the hypocrisy.

I would like to point outt that I get picked on quite often. Mostly good naturedly wich I have no prolem with at all. I would not post here if I did. Do we have to bunch women together all in one lump???

rbw1966 said:

Al_Pine said:

rbw1966 said:

both of you have a point. i think the problem is that there are words used in reference to women that still contain a big societal stigma. whether they should be or not, they're offensive in a way that has no male equivalent. no one thinks twice if i call somebody a prick (which i'm prone to doing) but if i toss "the c-word" rolleyes.gif more than a few people will be offended. it probably doesn't hurt to take this type of thing into consideration.

that said- men interact socially different than women do. given the ratio of men to women on this board it's obviously going to have a male "feel" i like it, i don't feel denigrated by it and as long as the insults flung in my way are along the lines that would be thrown at a guy i just don't worry too much. spew away! insult at will but it wouldn't hurt to keep a few of the nastier words in check.

minx said:

will-knock it off! i wouldn't ban you for that kind of stuff. (well ok except quoting that quote which i wish would die) i like the discussion...not of the slide show but of the alleged misogyny. i just don't think the name calling helps.

i think women and men are really different (go figure huh?) you guys insult the crap out of each other and no one cries that much about it. let's face it no one's ever slung out a crack about my mom. but if you start slinging insults towards a female you're walking a fine line between having fun, a normal way in which you might deal w/an annoying male poster, and cries of "misogyny" from the women.

i'm seriously interested in what the guys on this board think about it. what's an effective (not whiny way) for the women who post here to deal w/a comment directed at them that they feel is denigrating? personally i think that just shutting it down with a good response works w/o crying discrimination. most of you guys don't seem to intentionally cross the line that way with most of us so i let a lot of stuff go personally.

wow, now that's the most sexist stetement i have read here in a long time. this is internet and this is spray. doesn't matter male or female. if you dish it out, be ready to take the heat. in 10 years there won't be guys and chicks, there is going to be just wankers.