Bouldering in Oregon

jkrueger

So, where are the SWEET bouldering spots in Oregon? Hell, where are ANY bouldering spots? Here's all that I'm aware of:

1) Sisters Bouldering Area2) Green Peter Boulders3) Bandon Coast

I know there have got to be more areas out there - spots you know of, developed, spotted from the road, or even heard rumors of...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The entire crag is on private property. It goes towards paying for improvements to the crag, and I'm sure a portion goes towards reimbursing the owner of the property for the funds he spent on a lawyer drawing up the liability-release form and for storage of the forms. The owner keeps a copy of all of the waivers on file and occasionally checks up on climbers. He is very friendly though. Oh, it's a one-time fee. If you want more info go to: http://www.portlandrockgym.com/carver.htm

Carver was on my list of places to check out in the Portland area - with bouldering, it just jumped to the top of the list!

I'll sign a waiver and pay $5 to support a friendly land owner willing to deal with us climbing folks.

Thanks for the info! grin.gif" border="0

one time coming back from smith we stopped to boulder somewhere in the Gorge. unfortunately some dude with a cardboard thermarest and 6 shopping carts was living in the cave we stopped at and all the pockets in the basalt were full of broken glass, used condoms and shotgun shells.

quote:

Originally posted by Country Jake:
come Eugene pub club this week I'd like to meet some of the other eugene climbers, I have some boulders in my yard... i'm a Coburger, a ruffneck climber with little to no attitude... but I'm greedy and I'd like to meet youguys before I let you climb on private land...

Yes, I was already planning on being there. I've been digging for info on the Coburg Hills for months! I know there's climbing at the Coburg Cave, and I knew there were boulders up there because I can see them from I-5, but I haven't had any luck tracking down a land owner for access. I think I owe you a beer already?

quote:

Originally posted by Slide:
The entire crag is on private property. It goes towards paying for improvements to the crag, and I'm sure a portion goes towards reimbursing the owner of the property for the funds he spent on a lawyer drawing up the liability-release form and for storage of the forms. The owner keeps a copy of all of the waivers on file and occasionally checks up on climbers. He is very friendly though. Oh, it's a one-time fee. If you want more info go to:

This is not entirely true. The owner did not pay a lawyer to draw up the releases. An attorney donated her time. Besides, the property owner is a lawyer himself. Not only does he check up on climbers but I always ask climbers out there if they've signed a release and paid their $5 (which goes towards administrative costs like signs, copying the releases, etc). Access was threatened earlier last year when a couple of bozos walked through the owner's construction site to get to the crag, stalling the work that was being done. In spite of signs (and common sense) showing a detour.

The owner has spent a lot of money on trail improvement projects. Members of the Carver Climbing Club have donated time and effort to helping out. The owner's being very cool for allowing climbing to take place there. Help out and make sure you sign a release. The $5 is a lot cheaper than a gym membership.

I haven't been out there in a couple of years, but I know form past experience, the owner is being more than generous in letting us climb out there,($5 well spent) plus there are some pretty decent routes for such a small area. Stay's fairly cool in the summer too!

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:
one time coming back from smith we stopped to boulder somewhere in the Gorge. unfortunately some dude with a cardboard thermarest and 6 shopping carts was living in the cave we stopped at and all the pockets in the basalt were full of broken glass, used condoms and shotgun shells.

You should have stacked up some of those yuppie thermarests - you could have had yourself a nice bouldering pad!

Sounds like the "White Trash" bouldering area. You'd better keep the exact location secret or the next thing you know there will be a guidebook, trails, parking lot, refreshment stand, and angry cave squaters!

[laf]