Recommendations for Climbing in Austin, TX

bchaps

I'm going to be in Austin, Texas for a week in the near future. Could someone recommend a couple nice areas to check out. Preferably not bouldering areas.

Also, I may go to Potrero for Christmas. Does anyone know the nearest place to take the bus too? Monterey doesn't seem to be on the "Dog's" list of destinations.

Thanks!

bill

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I'm from Austin, I didn't start climbing until I moved up here (except in the gym) so I can't vouch for any of these places in particular. I'll just tell you what I've heard when I was there. But your best bet is to find someone in the climbing section of REI there, or Whole Earth Provisions, or one of the rock gyms (South Austin Rock Gym, on the web) and ask for info.

Reimer's Ranch (1.5 hrs outside Austin) has 1 pitch type stuff (could be 2 pitch but I don't know), not sure whether it is bolted or trad or mix. Barton Creek Greenbelt (in the city limits) has some 1 pitch bolted stuff (limestone). You'll need a guide for either of these (cause I can't give specifics), which you could pick up at REI or Whole Earth Provisions. Enchanted rock (granite) as mentioned, has the goods. I have a topo map with routes and ratings for Enchanted rock I'll scan when I get home if you PM me and remind me. It's the same thing you get at the park visitor center when you go there.

I don't know of any other climbing there but there are books about climbing in and around Austin. I think there are numerous little bouldering areas but you said you weren't interested in that. Let me know if you need any other info on Austin in general.

thumbs_up.gif

erik said:

FOR CLIMBING IN AUSTIN..

I BELIEVE THERE IS A PLACE CALLED BARTON SPRINGS...BOLTED LIMESTONE CRAGGING. I DONT KNOW WHERE IT IS OR ANYTHING NOR HAVE I BEEN THERE... BUT I SEEN SOME PICS!

its right in town. fukin famous swimmin hole too. pretty damp in winter. go for it anyhow. thumbs_up.gif

willstrickland said:

Dustin_B said:

your best bet is to find someone in the climbing section of REI there...

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

shit...when i was in cali a few weeks back...one store...yes one store between the bay area and tahoe had at gear...and only two even knew what it was??

confused.gif