Photo search: Baker/Shuksan for dummies

542east

Here's the deal - was thumbing through my little sis's WA state history textbook when I came upon a photo of Shuksan from Picture Lake - cool, but the caption under it said it was Baker! So I grabbed a few of my photos of Baker and Shukshan and sent em off to school along with a note to prove it was wrong... After reading my note and looking at the photos her dumbass teacher decided they were the same frickin mountain, because of some same "hole at the top" WTF??? madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

So I'm trying to find a pic of both Shuksan and Baker together. I've only been able to find small sh!tty thumbs so far, need printout quality. Good enough for an idiot to see the difference. bigdrink.gif

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you are asking for a picture or pictures taken from Excelsior Mountain or Church Mountain, both standing to the NW of Shuksan and Baker, so the view of Shuksan would be roughly similar to that you are comparing to. Or maybe somebody took a panormaic from Artist Point that does the trick. Run some google searches and you might come up with something.

Alternatively, how about a copy of a picture from Fred's guidebook? I think he'll have the caption right.

Here is a postcard showing Mt. Shuksan, backward. I have often wondered if the boat may have been cut and pasted into the image - how deep is that lake? The woman in the beer and postcard store in Maple Falls insisted this postcard was real and accurate.

420Untitled-1.jpg

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/showphoto.php?photo=2831&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

I just uploaded this picture of shuksan from Ruth mountain. Baker can be seen in the background. It's not the best vantage for comparing them, but you can clearly tell that baker is a volcano in the distance and shuksan is, well, clearly not a volcano.

Tell your teacher she is an idiot for me... hahaha.gif

I see no reason to prove yourself correct to the teacher. Sure maybe the teacher should have just said, "oh, that's interesting" and not made a pronouncement of truth over something he/she didn't know about. But, shit, teacher's lives are hard enough without having to duel with some parent over an insignificant textbook.

Let it go. Your kid knows you're correct. Isn't that all that matters? Seriously, what good can possibly come of showing up this teacher. You think you're gonna get a gold star or something?

And JoshK, why should he call the teacher an idiot? Would that make you feel (self) important or something? rolleyes.gif

It's one thing to be a dick on CC.com (it's basically required) but to export it to your child's classroom is f*cking idiotic.

An idiot teacher? Noooo.

One way to prove this out is to show pictures of Shuksan taken from Baker and visa versa. Here are some examples:

Shuksan from Baker I

Shuksan from Baker II

Shuksan from Baker III

Baker from Shuksan I

Baker from Shuksan II

Baker from Shuksan III

Baker from Shuksan IV

Baker from Shuksan V

Baker from Shuksan VI

Baker from Shuksan VII

Baker from Shuksan VIII

Baker from Shuksan IX

Could all these people be wrong?

Still not convinced? Well, then Baker and Shuksan from Triumph.

Nuf said.

Let it go. It doesn't really matter what the teacher thinks or who is right. It's a WA state history class textbook, not a climbing guidebook. Send an email to the publisher and they'll probably correct it in the next version.

Textbooks have errors in them. Hell, my medical terminology book has quite a few big errors in it's brief discussion of respiratory physiology. Now that's got a little more consequences. Thankfully it's a med-term book, not a physiology text.

Jesus tits, Chuck, chill out. You think I meant that literally? I still, think, however, if the discussion has already been brought up there is no reason in pointing out the teacher is incorrect. Any reasonable teacher is going to be accepting that they were wrong. It isn't disrespectul to point this out.

JoshK said:

Jesus tits, Chuck, chill out. You think I meant that literally? I still, think, however, if the discussion has already been brought up there is no reason in pointing out the teacher is incorrect. Any reasonable teacher is going to be accepting that they were wrong. It isn't disrespectul to point this out.

Since when are teachers reasonable? They are fuck-ups who couldnt get a real job - just look at jordop and necro! Prove that teacher wrong and she'll give your kid sis double detention all year long and a black mark on her permanent record - which will follow kid for her ENTIRE LIFE!!! in fact that black mark may lead to your sis later joining al-Qaeda from shame and hatred of the society that rejected her at such an early age. cantfocus.gif

Did you guys read the original post? 542 noticed that his SISTER's text is wrong and sent her to school with ammo to prove the teacher wrong. Nothing was solicited from the teacher. He/she can accept that the book is wrong or not. Who cares?

If 542 thinks it is such a big issue he should write to the publishers. Are a few elementary school kids going to care if the teacher announces in class that the caption for the photo on page #@$ is not accurate? They are probably not listening anyways.

chucK said:

I see no reason to prove yourself correct to the teacher. Sure maybe the teacher should have just said, "oh, that's interesting" and not made a pronouncement of truth over something he/she didn't know about. But, shit, teacher's lives are hard enough without having to duel with some parent over an insignificant textbook.

Let it go. Your kid knows you're correct. Isn't that all that matters? Seriously, what good can possibly come of showing up this teacher. You think you're gonna get a gold star or something?

ehmmic said:

Did you guys read the original post? 542 noticed that his SISTER's text is wrong and sent her to school with ammo to prove the teacher wrong. Nothing was solicited from the teacher. He/she can accept that the book is wrong or not. Who cares?

How did we get to the scenerio that 542 was trying to prove himself right or the teacher wrong?

Maybe the teacher should have taken the opportunity to use this as a lesson. A real life lesson, not your average 2+2, yes. Little 542Girl goes home comes back with a real lesson learned, problem solved.

Regardless, I think this says more about what a great Mountain Shuksan is. The fact that gapers from far and near come to "Mt Baker Ski Area", get the first glimpse of Shuksan and think it is Baker...

...and that school is bogus!

One thing can be said for sure...mt baker has the best view of any ski area on this continent that I could think of. I remember being somenear near aspen and they were bragging about the sweet view of the maroon bells. I agreed, it was very cool, but I told them they needed to go see the view of shuksan from the baker ski area if they wanted to see a real mountain. hahaha.gif

Smoker, where exactly is that picture taken from? Is this in the main southern gullies? It's obviously after you top out on the NE face, but I'm just trying to picture where (after we topped out, we went down a short gulley, crossed over some snow then traversed on a ledge to the main southern gullies.)

Thanks all for the pics. Decided to just send a guidebook along with the sis because although a photo with both peaks proves it's not the same mountain, it doesn't prove which one is which.

I thought the whole thing was funny and just decided to send a photo along in the first place for the teacher's knowledge, thought he might be interested in knowing the textbook was wrong and see the real Mt. Baker, when Shuksan is obviously not a volcano. Whatever. I got irked when he looked at my photos of two obviously very different mountains and decided they were the same one (even after reading my note which said that I have climbed both several times - and still thinks I'm wrong!), causing my sister to think I was pulling a fast one on her. That's the thing, she doubts me now because of a dumbass ignorant teacher. Actually I think she really believes me but just thinks I'm pulling a prank. Oh well... Thanks all for the photos.

bigdrink.gif

BTW contrary to popular opinion I'm a chick, not a guy. Sorry to disappoint! the_finger.gifwazzup.gif