Got Parasite?

Dru

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So that's what is wrong with the French! BTW Toxoplasm is thought to cause miscarriage in pregnant women.

The ideas behind sybiotic critters being necessary is pretty interesting. Not sure I'd drink worm eggs though, unless it was guaranteed to cure my asthma and allow me to tollerate dairy again. Parasites took away my ability to enjoy a scoop of haagen das 6 years ago and I am still bitter! madgo_ron.gif

Not much to tell... Went trekking in Nepal, thought I was careful to treat/filter all water. Two days before I left for home, started to feel pretty bad. On the flight felt really bad. Ruined my 29th b-day. Initially I thought it was cool to cross so many time zones and have like 36 hours for my b-day, but it just ended up prolonging my agony.

Symptoms pointed to giardia, but tests found nothing. Took high doses of 2 kinds of antibiotics to kill 'lil buggers. Sick off and on for 5 months. Docs did tests and even biopsied my small intestine (ouch). No diagnosis.

Family friend recommended that I try giving up dairy, because someone they knew had to do that after getting home from Nepal with some intestinal hijackers. In 3 days I felt like a new person. I try pretty hard to avoid dairy these days. Makes me feel really yucky! No more Haagen Das. Now I eat Double Rainbow soy frozen deserts. Blueberry is really good.

ehmmic said:

Not much to tell... Went trekking in Nepal, thought I was careful to treat/filter all water. Two days before I left for home, started to feel pretty bad. On the flight felt really bad. Ruined my 29th b-day. Initially I thought it was cool to cross so many time zones and have like 36 hours for my b-day, but it just ended up prolonging my agony.

Symptoms pointed to giardia, but tests found nothing. Took high doses of 2 kinds of antibiotics to kill 'lil buggers. Sick off and on for 5 months. Docs did tests and even biopsied my small intestine (ouch). No diagnosis.

Family friend recommended that I try giving up dairy, because someone they knew had to do that after getting home from Nepal with some intestinal hijackers. In 3 days I felt like a new person. I try pretty hard to avoid dairy these days. Makes me feel really yucky! No more Haagen Das. Now I eat Double Rainbow soy frozen deserts. Blueberry is really good.

Whew! I thought you were going to say you got the infection from the Haagen Daz. Sounds like you developed a lactose intolerance. Maybe you were always lactose intolerant, but having not consumed dairy for a prolonged period, your body lost its abilty to adjust. Also, the antibiotics may have killed off organisms needed to digest lactose.

catbirdseat said:

ehmmic said:

Whew! I thought you were going to say you got the infection from the Haagen Daz. Sounds like you developed a lactose intolerance. Maybe you were always lactose intolerant, but having not consumed dairy for a prolonged period, your body lost its abilty to adjust. Also, the antibiotics may have killed off organisms needed to digest lactose.

True dat, Acidophilus.

More on Toxoplasma parasite: Feeling Sexy? It Could Be Your Cat

A study has shown that domestic cats infected with a parasite called toxoplasma gondii can actually alter the personalities of their human owners, turning women into “sex kittens" and men into “alley cats.”

“We found they [the infected women] were more easygoing, more warm-hearted, had more friends and cared more about how they looked. However, they were also less trustworthy and had more relationships with men,” Dr. Jaroslav Flegr, who conducted the study at Charles University in Prague, told London’s Sunday Times newspaper.

scrambler said:

More on Toxoplasma parasite: Feeling Sexy? It Could Be Your Cat

A study has shown that domestic cats infected with a parasite called toxoplasma gondii can actually alter the personalities of their human owners, turning women into “sex kittens" and men into “alley cats.”

“We found they [the infected women] were more easygoing, more warm-hearted, had more friends and cared more about how they looked. However, they were also less trustworthy and had more relationships with men,” Dr. Jaroslav Flegr, who conducted the study at Charles University in Prague, told London’s Sunday Times newspaper.

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Lactose intollerance. Yeah no kidding. I didn't know there was a name for it. rolleyes.gif I don't think 3.5 weeks of no dairy is a long time. But whatever. I caught some kind of bug and now I can't eat dairy, whether the parasite caused it or the antibiotics did is kinda moot... No amount of bacteria flora supplements helps, I've tried them all. That stuff is like throwing good money down the toilet.

Different things can trigger body changes for things like tolerance to dairy products. My wife suddenly became allergic to wheat gluten. No flour, barley, oats, or anything that may be made with any of that stuff. We have found out there is a lot of stuff that has that stuff in it besides the usual breads, pastas etc. Also no bigdrink.gif for her. shocked.gif Actually she likes "wine coolers" but turns out they are a malt beverage, a no, no.

cracked said:

Thanks for making me sick. Where's that puking gremlin again? thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifhellno3d.gifhellno3d.gifthumbs_down.gif

Relax, every living creature on the planet needs to make a living in some manner. Parasites just do it in a way that makes humans a wee bit uncomfortable with the idea. A good parasite will not kill you because then their food source is gone. yelrotflmao.gif

ehmmic said:

Lactose intollerance. Yeah no kidding. I didn't know there was a name for it. rolleyes.gif I don't think 3.5 weeks of no dairy is a long time. But whatever. I caught some kind of bug and now I can't eat dairy, whether the parasite caused it or the antibiotics did is kinda moot... No amount of bacteria flora supplements helps, I've tried them all. That stuff is like throwing good money down the toilet.

Dairy isn't very good for you anyway. Adults aren't meant to drink milk. I could easily live without it. There are all sorts of yummy sherbets to take the place of ice cream.

catbirdseat said:

ehmmic said:

Dairy isn't very good for you anyway. Adults aren't meant to drink milk. I could easily live without it. There are all sorts of yummy sherbets to take the place of ice cream.

And frozen soy.