Cheapskate Dirtbag

glen

I was jsut reading the REI thread (and follow-up) and thinking about the comments about the overpriced items like Nalgene Bottles. Who out there has lot-cost alternatives to the common and not so common tools of the outdoor trade? For example, I rarely use Nalgenes because I have a hard time coughing up 8 clams for a bottle when a 99 cent Gatorade bottle is virtually indestructible and you get a free quart of gatorade out of it too. I've heard recipies out there for generic Gu, and the like. What are the cheapskate tricks that are out there that leave more money for important stuff, like a new cord?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

ditto on the gatorade bottles, you don't even need to fill 'em for the first use! Plus they're lighter than nalgene. I also bring a empty two liter pop bottle folded flat for an around camp reservoir, cuts down on trips to the water source.

for ice climbing,or cold weather camping a lexan nalgene plus an O.R. water bottle parka, is a lot lighter and more shockproof than a thermos, and you can boil your water before you go to bed or at the start of the day and it will still be liquid (if not warrm) 8 hours later.

My own dirtbag tip, is , shop at "Grocery Outlet" for all your foodstuff needs when you are road tripping. why sometimes they even have BEER! and there is one near every major American climbing area.

Yes, the grocery outlet near Jtree is particularly good. A bit of duct tape and old webbing makes gatorade bottles harness friendly for multipitch/no backpack climbs too.

Also, check used book stores for old guides. Guide to the olympics=$3. Nice!

If you can sew, which means you are cool like me...you can make a ton of stuff.

I know a guy who dated a gurl who worked at Patagucci, and he got a lot of stuff for free that way, well not exactly free...but... wink.gif" border="0

My favorite way to get gear for free is to be a gear tester and then write about it...

This may be an old trick, but I am just learning "the path of the jedi dirtbag"

Get your yuppie/newbie freinds to go climbing with you, tell them to make sure and eat before they pick you up, as you pass a restaruant say "OH, I didn't have time need to eat, lets stop here" Not fast food, you have to go to a place where you eat first and pay last.

Now from past experience your partner says, "Did you win the lotto lately or family pass away?" because they know you don't work.

You smile and respond "yeah, I got some plastic sucka" so you eat(a lot) and the bill comes and you hand over the card (that is no good).

So now you have to act really surprized and the key is, convince the waiter/waitress that it's a mistake and they should run it again and act all concerned, even ask them to call the bank. Once in a while look at your partner and shrug and say "jeez, that card worked this morning" now after the hassle of stopping to eat, watching you scarf 2 meals and waiting around for the credit card fiasco, potentially waiting for you to wash enough dishes, your buddy will become desperate to just get out of there and pay for your breakfast.

Disclosure - It only works once on each partner and dont be surprised if they give you "penalty slack" as a result.

Could very well be. Rather than actually expend the effort to find out the deepest source, I think I'll take the lazy man's way out and just change the signature.

Rumor has it that the words fun, doesn't, have, to and be were previously used by someone named Webster, but who knows? Someone else might have used it before him too! Ahhh, too long at work and getting sarcastic again... [Wazzup]