Creative uses for leftover skin fragments?

dryad

I have 2 ~20" pieces in stylish cowprint. Any ideas?

sobo said:

Seat covers! laugh.gif

snoboy said:

One thing I have heard of is to take a piece, cut it in half lengthwise, then round one end off nicely. Stick the two strips together and throw 'em in your pocket.

When you are shuffling in on some flat trail, instead of putting your full skins on, slap those on under your feet. Good grip, better glide.

Haven't tried it yet, but want to.

thelawgoddess said:

how about if we glue the pieces onto some nice cushy foam or something and use them as fancy backcountry cantfocus.gifearwarmers on those days when we're not wearing our helmets? tongue.gif

iain said:

the kicker skins idea is a good one. Another one is to hang on to them when you have to return them due to glue failure and you need to show a "before and after" example. smirk.gif

cj001f said:

The Kicker skin idea isn't bad - but it won't last long. Even with the nice metal taper, snow builds up fast under my kicker skins.

Save up your scraps - after 3 or 4 pairs of skins, you've enought ot sew them together for a real ghetto skin!

Edited by snoboy

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what was spray about suggesting they would make good kneepads for ice climbing? the friction of goretex or softshell on ice is minimal and it seems a sticky knee would be helpful topping out on low angle bulges. i think the best idea would be to somehow turn a big tibloc inside out so that the spikes were on the outside though, but skin material would be easier to fit than something rigid like that. thumbs_up.gif

this is not spray! this is a serious suggestion! thumbs_up.gif

jaee said:

Stick a couple on the bottom of your sled so it doesn't slide backwards on uphill slogs when you stop.

Okay, I know you are, but are you Me???

That's what I use 'em for too. I stick them to the inside of my sled until I need 'em, which has only ever been a couple of times. A trail gets too steep and I'd rather take a pack.

A few years back there was a tip in Climbing about sticking them to the bottom of your rock shoes for short snow approaches.

Moon's gonna make for a great winter camping weekend this coming. Long as the clouds cooperate which they won't.

nonanon said:

A few years back there was a tip in Climbing about sticking them to the bottom of your rock shoes for short snow approaches.

That has to be the sketchiest advice I've ever heard of from one of those columns. Pray tell what conditions would this be useful in?

cj001f said:

nonanon said:

That has to be the sketchiest advice I've ever heard of from one of those columns. Pray tell what conditions would this be useful in?

prefuneral aerobics. thumbs_up.gif

cj001f said:

nonanon said:

Dood. It was in Climbing! hahaha.gif

But if memory serves, the advisor in question was talking about a snowfield at the bottom of a route on Longs Peak, fwiw.

cj001f said:

nonanon said:

So I guess that means you're supposed to turn the skins around backwards to walk back down the snow approach? Or maybe just glissade? Yeah, the whole concept sounds pretty sketchy.

dryad said:

cj001f said:

nonanon said:

So I guess that means you're supposed to turn the skins around backwards to walk back down the snow approach? Or maybe just glissade? Yeah, the whole concept sounds pretty sketchy.

walk backwards!!!! smile.gif

cj001f said:

nonanon said:

Not that I'd try it, but it might have come in handy for climbing the first pitch of Silent Running two summers ago. It was still under snow and we wanted to leave our packs at the base. Slipping and sliding in my 5.10s sucked.

ehmmic said:Not that I'd try it, but it might have come in handy for climbing the first pitch of Silent Running two summers ago. It was still under snow and we wanted to leave our packs at the base. Slipping and sliding in my 5.10s sucked.

Yeah, rock shoes suck on snow. I guess I can't think of a time where the snow conditions have been such that skins would provide traction, but I couldn't kick steps. There've been several times I'd wish'd for instep crampons.