Falling on screws

boatskiclimbsail

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took a 100 foot slider down the eliot glacier ripping one of my partners off his feet and was stopped by a single screw. No damage to screw; few cracked ribs on me.

Fell about 20 feet on a screw on a short ice pitch at Ski Bowl. No damage to screw; minor rope burn on finger.

Never had one pull but have placed them where I wasn't too confident they'd hold. But haven't we all?

A partner of mine took a full rope length winger (ice tools flailing everywhere) from a full rope above me to a full rope length below me in the Sherpa couloir on Stewart. The only thing between us was a fluke that I had just installed before he cut loose. Thank god it held and he didn't clober me on his way down!

Led_Hed said:

A partner of mine took a full rope length winger (ice tools flailing everywhere) from a full rope above me to a full rope length below me in the Sherpa couloir on Stewart. The only thing between us was a fluke that I had just installed before he cut loose. Thank god it held and he didn't clober me on his way down!

we have a winner!

bigdrink.gif

I met a guy in Icicle canyon a few years ago who wore a T-Shirt that said "I fell 120 feet on an ice screw" and he had. It was bent at about 45 degrees. He fell off a vertical pitch. All he did was gash his forehead with his pick when he cut loose. Momma mia!

Led_Hed said:

Wow. How in god's name did that happen? The sherpa coulior is the pretty low angle one. Did you mean the ice cliff coulior? I've heard that is fairly steepish.

I held a leader fall on the last pitch (pillar) of Stairway to Heaven in Provo Canyon. Partner popped and went hard on a snarg. It held fine and another guy with my camera caught him in mid air. Haven't seen too many photos of ice climbers logging air time...classic! I got to finish the pitch after that. I always wondered about snargs, but that proved they were ok.

As a concerned citizen, I feel compelled to add: DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME, FOLKS!!!!

(I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to see if I can avoid ever taking a fall with crampons on my feet and tools in both hands -- and I don't think I want to climb with RBW, either, because I don't want to be around when he tries it for time #3. The way I see it, RBW's tried twice to hurt himself - and the third time's the charm, right?)

David_Parker said:

I held a leader fall on the last pitch (pillar) of Stairway to Heaven in Provo Canyon. Partner popped and went hard on a snarg. It held fine and another guy with my camera caught him in mid air. Haven't seen too many photos of ice climbers logging air time...classic! I got to finish the pitch after that. I always wondered about snargs, but that proved they were ok.

So where's the picture?

I taught an ice climbing class in Colorado. The days lecture was ice screws are scary, don't fall on them. To prove my point, I took one of those $15 russian screws that come with the red cap (you know the ones) and placed it near the top of the climb.

On top, I filled a big ol' haul bag full of ice blocks till it was full and I couldn't lift it. Then I shoved it off the lip of the climb so it would take a massive fall onto the screw.

WHAM! The screw held!

So I did it again.

WHAM! The screw held!

So I did it again.

CREAK! The screw bent.

So I did it again and again and again.

The fucker wouldn't come out! I rapped down and the thing was holding on by ONE THREAD.

This has to be it I thought so I climbed up and dropped the haul bag again.

Guess what? It held.

My class was a failure and all my students now trust ice screws totally.

michael_layton said:

I taught an ice climbing class in Colorado. The days lecture was ice screws are scary, don't fall on them. To prove my point, I took one of those $15 russian screws that come with the red cap (you know the ones) and placed it near the top of the climb.

On top, I filled a big ol' haul bag full of ice blocks till it was full and I couldn't lift it. Then I shoved it off the lip of the climb so it would take a massive fall onto the screw.

WHAM! The screw held!

So I did it again.

WHAM! The screw held!

So I did it again.

CREAK! The screw bent.

So I did it again and again and again.

The fucker wouldn't come out! I rapped down and the thing was holding on by ONE THREAD.

This has to be it I thought so I climbed up and dropped the haul bag again.

Guess what? It held.

My class was a failure and all my students now trust ice screws totally.

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

It's only when you are with a girl friend that the damn things fail.

Alpine_Tom said:

So where's the picture?

It's a slide and I still have it somewhere in one of my slide trays. I should find it and make it into a digital image.

I'm with Matt. I do not plan to ever fall ice climbing and I don't want to climb with anyone who thinks falling while ice climbing is no big deal. It is.

mattp said:

As a concerned citizen, I feel compelled to add: DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME, FOLKS!!!!

(I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to see if I can avoid ever taking a fall with crampons on my feet and tools in both hands -- and I don't think I want to climb with RBW, either, because I don't want to be around when he tries it for time #3. The way I see it, RBW's tried twice to hurt himself - and the third time's the charm, right?)

Matt, I respect your opinins a great deal, but I'll have to be the contrarian this time around...I'll Climb with RBW any day of the week; I just prefer to lead. yelrotflmao.gif