Ushba Ultimate Titanium Ice Screw

jstreet

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sobo said:

Hah! You've got a FURPS! Fucking Russian Piece of Shit! Save it for when you have to bail off a climb. That's why they're called "leavers". yellaf.gif

And you can get 'em for about $10 used on eBay.

I believe you are mistaking this ice screw for older versions made in the past that are not UIAA approved.

EBAY DOES NOT HAVE THIS PITON TODAY

Also I do want to note that I think titanium ice screws are acceptible in alpine shite or low angle shite. I just dont like the ones that come with that stupid handle. It's useless.

thanks

Cpt.Caveman said:

sobo said:

Hah! You've got a FURPS! Fucking Russian Piece of Shit! Save it for when you have to bail off a climb. That's why they're called "leavers". yellaf.gif

And you can get 'em for about $10 used on eBay.

I believe you are mistaking this ice screw for older versions made in the past that are not UIAA approved.

Possibly. And you're right. None are currently available on eBay, but they show up pretty regularly this time of year.

Cpt.Caveman said:

Also I do want to note that I think titanium ice screws are acceptible in alpine shite or low angle shite. I just dont like the ones that come with that stupid handle. It's useless.

thanks

Agreed on both counts, but I was proceeding from the assumption that jstreet was thinking of selling it off as *ice* climbing equipment, rather than *climbing* equipment. My bad.

FWIW, I would never want to take a clean-air leader fall on a Ti ice screw. Shit, I'd never want to take a clean-air leader fall on any ice screw! cantfocus.gif

yeah if you coat the Ti screw in WD40 you can place it once. the friction in cold ice is unbelievably bad, they tend to get about 2" of ice plug in them and then lock up with the ice in the barrel not moving madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

save them for belay screws if you place more express than you thought you would on a pitch. or in the alpine where softer neve-source type ice lets them sink in smoother.

Caveman,

I visited the sites you ref'ed. Thanks for the clarifications. Things really seemed to have changed surrounding Ti screws recently. Perhaps I may have been thinking of the ibrus Russian Ti ice screw as the lesser screw. I don't believe that they are certified by any climbing governing agency. And google didn't find them, either. Are you familiar with the ibrus brand?

Those Irbus (sp?) screws used to sell at REI for like $12.95. I picked up a few. Then I saw a bunch of negative comments about them. So I called REI. A few calls later they fax me a report of some pull testing they did with those screws. 5 screws, each pulled between 2200 and 2800 lbf. So, I felt a little better about dragging them along as leavers, since they'd actually do the job if they had to.

Dru said:

Those Irbis screws are nice in the alpine. Why leave a screw when you can leave an Abalakov?

Because by the time I'm at the point of placing a leaver, my hands are frozen, I don't wanna futz around lining up holes and tie knots, and I have fully entered the bail-out mode. Oh, and I'm probably pretty gripped by then, and all I really want is bigdrink.gif