4 season tent

cluck

Tired of taking chances with my 3-season tent in high alpine or having to climb with someone who has a more bomb proof tent.

Here is what I'm looking for:

- I figure you get what you pay for, so getting the cheapest isn't my 1st concern. But is something good is on sale or close out, I won't turn down a bargain

- 2 person, either plenty of room inside for people and gear or enough vestibule to get the job done, 2 openings for ventialiation, particularly for approach... lower camps would be nice

- Pitches quick... don't want to mess with a damn science project when it is cold and windy out

- Doesn't have to be the lightest available, but most of my climbs are a couple days, so it isn't like I need a home on the glacier for week long + trips

So, all of you folks who have plunked down the big bucks for a 4 season shelter, what should I buy?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth, I like the Bibler I-tent. I have one with just one opening (to save weight). It makes a nice tent, and also makes a nice two-person bivy sack if you choose to leave the tent poles at home (to save weight). I've also used a two-door Eldorado tent. As one might expect, the two-door models are easier to ventilate. But for a carry-over, I would prefer the I-tent over the Eldorado, because it is lighter weight. When I checked last year, the weight of the I-tent (without poles) was actually less than the weight of two Bibler bivy sacks. For winter climbing without a carry-over, I prefer the two-door Eldorado. More room for gear and ventilates better.

Oh, I just re-read your post. You're looking for a tent with some room for gear. The Eldorado would probably be a good bet, then.

I have tried the Eldorado/I-tent vestibule, and it is OK. But I almost never carry it because I find that it is not worth the extra weight.

If you are camping above treeline, I would caution against considering the Stephenson Warmlite, despite the glowing testimonials you may hear. The first time I used one (at Camp Muir), it was subjected to a sustained 50-knot crosswind. It tore open.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Stephen_Ramsey

I spent 3 nights in a Bibler Fitzroy this past summer, and there's enough room in there for 2 + some gear. I was definately impressed with it, and I'd likely buy one if I could find a good deal on it (and had the cash).

Have you looked into Hilleberg? My friends took one on Denali last year and loved it.

TENTS - capacity - weight1 ----- weight2 --- area ------ dims L x W x H - pkd size - # poles - # doors - vestibule style

fitzroy --------- 2 - 6 lb 5.5 oz --- 7 lb 1 oz - 36 sq.ft------ 93 x 60 x 40 --- 9 x 19 ------- 4 ------- 2 ------- Clip On

bombshelter - 4 - 8 lb 10.5 oz - 9 lb 7 oz - 50+20 sq.ft - 146 x 80 x 44 - 8 x 20 ------- 5 ------- 2 ------- Attached (2)

weight1 (tent and poles)

weight2 (packaged weight)

for easier reading, check out the webpage

Fitzroy is the way to go if you need the room. 2 people + gear is no problem. Very strong tent & easy to setup. Vestibules are small for storage but OK for cooking.

I-tent or Eldo for fast & light. 2 people, no gear, fits in narrow locations.

Bibler all the way. Just wish they'd get those pole clips figured out better. Sucks to see a bunch of 10 cent wire wrap in a $600 tent.

:dedhorse: Where's the dead horse gremlin? This is another thread that shows up at least twice a year.

I have the Tempest.

It is the cheapest Bibler, it comes with two built in vestibules and has room for 2+ maybe even 3.

It weighs about 1lb more than an Eldorado with a vestibule, but has more room and 4 poles for strength.

It is not an ultralight tent for tiny alpine bivi ledges, but it is awsome for just about everything else. bigdrink.gif

Ursa_Eagle said:

I spent 3 nights in a Bibler Fitzroy this past summer, and there's enough room in there for 2 + some gear. I was definately impressed with it, and I'd likely buy one if I could find a good deal on it (and had the cash).

Have you looked into Hilleberg? My friends took one on Denali last year and loved it.

Which model Hilleberg did they have?

I like the ID MK3 which would fit the criteria you are looking for. From what I hear, the ID has canvas corner pockets for the bottom of the poles whereas the Bibler has a metal washer that you have to shoot the pole through and if you miss, you get a nice hole in the floor.

Bronco said:

I like the ID MK3 which would fit the criteria you are looking for. From what I hear, the ID has canvas corner pockets for the bottom of the poles whereas the Bibler has a metal washer that you have to shoot the pole through and if you miss, you get a nice hole in the floor.

This is not entirely correct. The Bibler I have has a pocket for the poles on the sides as well as reinforced corners. If you miss the reinforced corners where the poles place then yeah you can punch a hole into the floor--which I did once and which Bibler (i.e. Black Diamond) repaired, seam-sealed and returned to me within 24 hours.

:dedhorse: Where's the dead horse gremlin? This is another thread that shows up at least twice a year.

I did do a search since I figured this topic came up from time to time, but didn't find anything recent.

Appreciate opinions from those who posted. Thanks for using your climbing down time, at work boredom to share some ideas. If I didn't know better, I would have guessed that everyone who posted here works for Bibler. Tents must rockband.gif if this many folks are providing the thumbs_up.gif

Cpt.Caveman said:

Integral Designs makes tents out of the exact same material as Bibler. They just call the material different is all..

Also some of the designs are almost identical in some ways.

Check em out they are usually cheaper too in Canada or even here..

FWIW, despite the differences in stats on their websites, the Bibler Eldorado and the Integral Designs MK1 XL are *identical* in size. I set them both up in the marmot store and they are inch for inch the same. Bibler (at least they used to) claims the eldorado is several inches larger in both dimensions, but it must be how they masure it, because it isn'tt.

If you are not set on having a single wall tent you may want to look at The North Face Mountain 25. It is a bomber 4 season double wall. Tons of air flow, lots of room inside, two vestibules, two doors, pretty easy to set up once you try it out a few times. Only downside is it weighs 9 pounds. I also have a Kelty Ledge, which I have not used yet, but it seems pretty sweet. It is a little tight for 2 people and gear but it weighs just over 4 pounds. Which is nice for a 4 season.

Cautionary note for Bibler I-tent and TNF Mtn-25: they do not hold tall people. I lay down in an I-tent and my legs stuck out the door from mid-calf down. Even diagonally I do not fit in that thing (I am 196cm), so I bought a Garuda Kusala, which has three meters of interior length on one side, and still weighs under 5 pounds!

No matter what tent you buy, lie down in it first if you can to see if you really fit.

I set up the Kelty Ledge in my living room and it has some cool design features, but I decided the lopsided shape would cause my partner and I to fight over who gets the more vertical side. The more sloping side is a little claustrophobic and potentially soggy with the tent wall right on top of you.