Skiiing in the Northwest kicks ass!

E-rock

All I can say is that overall the skiing in Washington is WAAAY better than Utah. And I'm not talking about comparing say Mt. Baker or Crystal to Alta. I'm talking about comparing backcountry skiing. We are so lucky to have it so good here, and no one in the rest of the country knows a thing about it.

I remember when I first moved here, people warned me that I wouldn't like the snow. They were so wrong. The snow here is phenomenal. A little on the heavy side at times, but we get the light stuff too.

I can't remember the last time I was as excited about skiing this early in the season as I am this year. Please, keep up the TR's and photos people.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

E-rock, it just aint so. As an ex-Utah resident, it can say it is the greatest snow on earth. (Colorado is for people who haven't discovered Utah yet). There are cons though so what you say is valid, Our snowpack is more stable and predictable which means we ski safer and steeper shit. The Wasatch is crowded and competes with heli-skiers and resort expansion. But damn, I'll take the best fluffy light chest deep run down Cardiac bowl anyday over our best coast range snow. You never get up to your tits and need a snorkle to breathe in snow here.

True enough, you don't get it that deep and light here. But you don't get it that deep more than a few times a year in Utah either, unless it's a really stellar season. I lived in Utah for eight years and backcountry skied in the Cottonwoods for 6 years, every week.

I miss Cardiac bowl too. But I don't miss the Saturday crowds.

never underestimate the abiltiy of cc.comers to create new endless debate topics:

- bolts vs no bolts

- guns vs no guns

- gop vs dems

- etc. etc., i'm not going to type them all here

- and now [drum roll please] coastal snow vs. continental snow

DO YOU MEAN TO TELL ME YOU PEOPLE HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO TALK ABOUT THAN THERE *MIGHT* BE SOME BETTER SNOW SOMEPLACE ELSE? GET A FREAKING GRIP PEOPLE!

just wanted to get my $.02 in now so i don't need to waste time later.

spray on.

lI1|1! said:

DO YOU MEAN TO TELL ME YOU PEOPLE HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO TALK ABOUT THAN THERE *MIGHT* BE SOME BETTER SNOW SOMEPLACE ELSE?

Any one who has followed cc.com for a week or more knows the answer to this question. No, there is nothing better to talk about. All the important and interesting topics have been covered. How else are ya going to waste time at work?

Since colorado has more resorts, the number of skiers is higher. You need to know how many skier-days there were and divide the number of incidents to normalize the fatalities. If more people died, but more people went, the frequency of avalanches is the same.

David_Parker said:

(Colorado is for people who haven't discovered Utah yet).

hellno3d.gif i've skiied in utah. i didn't come here not knowing what the skiing is like there, but then again i'm not claiming the snow or the skiing is the best here (in colorado) compared to anywhere else. i'd never skiied here before so i thought i'd give it a chance. that and - more importantly - the job offer here was way better than the one i got at alta. believe me, i REALLY wanted to live at alta for a winter. and believe me again when i say i REALLY miss the skiing in the northwest. but that doesn't mean i'm not going to enjoy what i've got here and make the most of it. i actually haven't been to an area where i thought the skiing really sucked. i like to ski (PERIOD!), and i'll ski whatever i can get my sticks on. grin.gif