REI's Climbing department

jules

Last spring one of my buds went into one of the local REI's to buy some leather mtneering boots as we planned on doing some slogs on baker and rainier. When he announced his intended use of the boots to the fat bastard working the shoe floor, the REI employee told him he couldn't sell him the Makalus because my freind really needed to buy some plastic boots if he planned on keeping his toes on Rainier.

He bought his Makalus somewhere else after cussing out the portly shoe salesman. (and obvioulsy no harm came to his feet on rainier)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by specialed:
I think its unrealistic to expect outdoor retail salespeople to know everything about every product and have experience with it.

Yeah, but I was there one time and the sales poser there had never heard of Kong, and didn't know what a keylock carabiner was (even though they sold petzl keylock biners there - had dozens of them hanging right behind him).

Another had never heard of DMM.

A little more amusing: (And I swear this is true)I asked for 68 inches of webbing. She didn't know how to figure out what that is in feet and inches. She had to get help.

90% I have been met with a very friendly sales staff, although rarely have they been very knowledgable. Once I met a guy (Mark/Marcus) at the flagship store who really knew his stuff, but he is so far the only exception to the rule I've seen. On a positive note, I've had sales staff come up to me almost every time and ask if I needed any help, especially in the camping department. Though I generally refuse unless I want to see a confused look on their face.

True story: Last week I went to the bicycle repair class at the Lynwood store, and after it was over went upstairs to check out the books in the climbing section. (always a favorite pastime) Next I wandered over to the pro section to check out cams, as I was looking to pick up another couple tech friends. Alas, they did not stock tech friends! It seems they only stock camalots and one other brand of something. On a whim I asked the sales staff how the friend sizes compared with the camalots. "Oh, all the sizes are the same," Captain America replied. I pointed out that the number 1 camalot is clearly not the same size as the number 1 of whatever other cam they had. Mystified, the clerk excused himself to go find out why this was so. He never came back.

I think the general rule is that REI is a good store to go to for a wide variety of sports, but they don't specialize in anything. We all want REI to have the same selection and knowledgability of a specialty store, which it is clearly not in any department. Which is a shame, because I enjoy going to REI just to poke my nose around, although I rarely buy anything. PMS and feathered friends are a lot better.

Watched a hot blond at the flagship store sell a Gri Gri to a guy who needed to ascend his mast on his boat to change the light bulb. Right when he was about to pay I had to interject and tell him that the Gri Gri wasn't gonna help him much and $5 worth of cord would work much better. She was still confused. If your not going to hire people that know anything it is at least nice that you hire people worth looking at. shocked.gif" border="0

MysticNacho is right, although our REI caries alliens and a few metolius cams the wild country friends and new zeros are no where to be found... and further more I don't think our store carries any OP & DMM gear, not to mention in the store (not on-line)we can only get one brand of rope... That is redickulass!!!

TRUE STORY

I worked at REI Headquarters for 6 years. I was truly the only dedicated climber there out of maybe 400 people. Some people climb here and there but not as much as I did becuase they had full time jobs (like I did) and family obligations. (People weren’t obsessed with climbing like I was). So an opportunity came in the climbing department at headquarters and I applied for the position. This was the lowest position in the climbing department. I did not get the position. Guess who did? A person who did not even know what a carabiner is! That person still works at REI and has never climbed a day. (I have inside knowledge that the person doesn’t climb.) Get this also: There are people in their water sports department who don’t canoe or kayak either! Am I bitter about being rejected? No. Things just always work out for the better.

The salesfloor people are mostly climber uneducated people with a few people here and there who know their climbing stuff. A lot of them do backpack, but most of them don’t climb. If you wanted knowledgeable staff you would probably have to pay a higher premium for a more educated staff, which in the end would result in higher prices at REI across the board.

I also know the staff at REI are lurking on this webpage.

That's the key, Dru. More money. Like everything else in life, one gets what one pays for. If you'd like a very experienced sales staff at REI, the company will have to pony-up journeyman wages. I'd say a minimum of $38,000 per year with benefits. Don't laugh...that starting package would most likely attract some very knowledgeable climber/sales persons. One or two such persons per district is all it would take. Will they do it? Hell no. Good idea though, if I say so myself. [big Drink]

quote:

Originally posted by Stefan:
TRUE STORY

I worked at REI Headquarters for 6 years. Hey, Stefan, I think I remember you.

I also know the staff at REI are lurking on this webpage.

Yep, more than just me. grin.gif" border="0

Thanks, everybody, this is really interesting for us. And you're makin' me proud by refraining from spray! Wha' th'?? I think I'm getting teary.

quote:

If I'm willing to do the research and figure out what the right crampon is for my particular need, then why should I pay the 20% extra for the privledge of picking it up in person?

No shit, I recently aquired info on caming devices for this site... and some one had joked about ask the salesperson REI, well I did and found nothing out, because they didn't know any thing about them, just what they herd from a friend... bullshit... The usefull info from this page gave me pretty much the info I needed, exept the recent artical in CLIMB turned me on to the new zeros... haven't bought any yet but I think I'm going to give them a shot...

I was on a road trip down to Josh and was planning on stopping at Castle Crags on the way. We rolled into the Portland REI and asked if they had a guide book for Northern Cali. The dude came back with a book on the Pacific Crest Trail and said, "I think this is what you're looking for." I said, "Nope, it's not"

Last week I had a good conversation with the woman at the climbing counter about ropes. I ended up buying from rei-outlet. I have also gotten great help from a guy who used to make skis, even though I wasn't buying anything. Then there was the guy who helped us stock up on stuff before a big trip to Asia last fall. He was great, very low key. We ended up going to the store a coupla times in the course of a week and on our last visit, I discovered that he had been up Everest in the 80s. I was impressed that he didn't lead with this information and was quite humble about it all, even sharing a story about one of his teammates who didn't make it back.

On the other hand, I've run into plenty of people with little useful knowledge in the store. In Redmond, a friend asked if they ever sell their rental rock shoes. (Good for trashing in the gym.) The high schooler said "Dude, you gotta like, get new shoes. The gotta, like, fit like a glove." Thanks.

Something that frustrates me about the Seattle store is the cash register in climbing. That area often gets congested and then people like me can't get to the counter or get any help in the department.

The big "Spring 2002: Gear up for *any* adventure" catalog showed up at my house today.

It is 104 pages including the front and back covers. The first piece of real gear (backpacks and trekking poles) appears on page 74.

Notably missing:

- Any kind of rope- Boots (other than light hikers)- Crampons- Axes- Cams, nuts, hexes, tri-cams, etc.- Rock shoes- Harnesses (there is a picture of two people hiking in their harnesses, though!)- Four season tents

I guess when they say "any adventure" they mean your next trip to Bellevue Square.

Jules, I'd say REI's priorities are pretty clear and you friend may be in for a very frustrating experience trying to make any change. But all the power to him!

One other situation was the time I asked for 24 feet of 6mm cord. They refused to sell it to me until I told them what I wanted it for. They said they had to verify that I was buying it for "appropriate" use. What the fuck would anyone be buying 24 feet of 6mm cord at a climbing store be doing with it BESIDES making a cordelette? My assumption is that they really didn't know what a cordelette is, and just went along with what I said so they wouldn't look MORE stupid than they already did.

[ 04-03-2002: Message edited by: lizard brain ]

I don't buy climbing stuff there any more. I shop at small shops were you are dealing with the person that orders the gear and they rember youur face. You may pay more, but in the long run their personal touch pays off This is hard to do in big company with low wages and high turnover. (I have worked several low paying dead end jobs- why care if you know you are going to quit soon?) Looks like REI is feeling the compatition from the small stores and the internet. Good luck Jules- hope to see you at a pub club soon. smile.gif" border="0[big Drink][chubit]

I almost fell down... I had entered the Twilight Zone...

Most of my REI experiences have been marked by a serious lack of knowledge - e.g. "Why buy nuts when everyone is using cams now?" Anyways, I was in CA a week ago and stopped in to the REI in San Jose and found a store full of nice, helpful, KNOWLEDGEABLE and cool folks. They shined on being a day late on a rental return, and knew their stuff when asked about gear. I actually left thinking it was a mountain shop I'd go back to. That being said, they had only one type of snow shovel to "choose from".