Tim Robbins Delivers Some More Red Meat

allthumbs

Embedded journalists brought the Iraq war live into America's living rooms. But now, actor and anti-war activist Tim Robbins has written and directed a play depicting his version of what he thinks happened in Iraq…

Robbins portrays journalists as Pentagon puppets, U.S. soldiers as thieves and killers of innocent women and children, and the Bush cabinet as war mongers willing to start a war to escape the negative publicity of the Enron scandal…

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,104322,00.html

And he protests that people hate his guts bloviating about "chill winds."

Sigh, shaking my head knowingly. thumbs_down.gif

trask

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) I dont consider anyone in the entertainment industry to know their ass from thier elbow, let alone world politics.

2) If I was in entertainment...I too would write a play that apeals to the bleeding heart masses of america...thats how you get ratings. (for example I know that every one of you whiney bitches on cc.com would patronize this play)

3) Oh yeah Sept 11th was brilliantly planned out to cover up ENRON...Grow a brain fucko's....we kick ass in other peoples back yards so they cant start them in ours...our last president was wank, now we have a man and administration that cares more to DO his job than protect his job.. So EAT A DICK HCL.gif

Dutch said:

1) I dont consider anyone in the entertainment industry to know their ass from thier elbow, let alone world politics.

2) If I was in entertainment...I too would write a play that apeals to the bleeding heart masses of america...thats how you get ratings. (for example I know that every one of you whiney bitches on cc.com would patronize this play)

3) Oh yeah Sept 11th was brilliantly planned out to cover up ENRON...Grow a brain fucko's....we kick ass in other peoples back yards so they cant start them in ours...our last president was wank, now we have a man and administration that cares more to DO his job than protect his job.. So EAT A DICK HCL.gif

"I walk softly, but carry a big stick" - Buggs Bunny.

"Well I talk LOUDLY, and I carry and EVEN BIGGER stick". -Yosemite Sam

trask said:

hey dutch fucko, I wouldn't cross the street to piss on most actors if they were on fire

eat shit the_finger.gif

I should mention that the terms Fucko, Bleeding heart hippy, ETC, are assigned by those who deem themselves Fuckos and the rest of the terms.... Trask, I was under the impression that you were like myself and glacierdog... But I will drink to that...one fucko to another bigdrink.gif Anyone else game?

In retrospect, all I can say is thankfully Marine Major Rich Doherty was in the audience and was willing to discuss the inaccuracies with the cast and audience members.

I would consider this play - based without merit or research by the creator - Tim Robbins - a slap in the face to the embedded journalists who lost their lives during the war - and to the Soldiers and Marines who lost their lives.

If it was intended purely as comedic entertainment - there should be some indication of that - however far too many people take what they see in plays and movies based on actual events as gospel. It is truly sad that people who believe that have no brains - and cannot think for themselves - be they left or right wingers.

i'm reminded of a play by Bertold Brecth called "The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui". it's basically a comedic satire of hitler and his henchmen rising to power as a bunch of crooks and thugs, written and staged while they were still rising to power. Brecht was ridiculed when it first came out...

ultimately i suppose history is the judge and whoever said mean things about the leader who then really fucks up gets to say "i told ya so" when it's all over.

The CBC ran a documentary last week about the embedded journalists and what they went through, and the stuff they filmed that didn't get past the censors at the time, also their thoughts on the whole embedding idea and whether they felt it was a good thing or not and so on. There was some pretty horrific shit, a lot of introspection about what gets filmed/reported and why other things get left out, and some interesting insights into the whole media/military relationship. Good program - I wish I'd taped it.

Yeah, I find I must constantly separate actor from civilian in regards to these Hollywood characters. I agree Tim Robbins was excellent in Mystic River, but he's a real schmuck (aren't they all) for using his position as a soapbox against the government. It's easy for someone in the public eye to make comments knowing they'll be "listened to" by reporters because of who they are.

I like Johnny Depp and Sean Penn as actors. I don't care for them as soapboxers. Even so, I'm not going to boycott their movies because of their (in)discretions. I go to see good movies, not to see good actors only (unless it's Jennifer Connelly laugh.gif).

Because they come across or like to think they come across or like to think we think they come across as being knowledgable on the very non-acting subject they're bitching about. Oh, just because they're actors that means they're smarter than us so we should listen to them. They're right. They're wrong. Who cares?

Most people in this country (me included) are stupid with regards to knowledge of the issues (and it's as if the actors know this) and they don't think about the wider issues for themselves. They'll go with what their favorite actor says because he is supposedly some sort of role model.

Or maybe I just don't like it because I'm a moderate and most of these soapboxing actors are leftists. Moderates typically see leftist comments as half-thought out and totally ignoring of other perspectives.

Or maybe I'm just a jerk.

Or maybe you're a jerk.

Or maybe just lummox is a jerk.