anyone gonna get after this?

layton

dberdinka said:

With the untimely death of Ben Manfredi will the extreme sking void be filled?

Of course it will. Ben had lots of buddy's that were coconspirators in his crazy adventures. smile.gif I fully expect these guys to keep the torch moving. grin.gif

dberdinka said:

Will someone ski Triple Couliors or the TC-N Face link up?

For some reason I still don't buy that TC hasn't been skiied. It's so completely accessible and such an obvious line. Besides that it frankly isn't that hard of a ski. I guess it's just hard to believe with all the good skiiers around here that nobody has done it.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ultimate in thread DEATH is when it drifts into a skiing discussion. Fuck Off you Pussies. Any asshole can fall down a moutain (i know tongue.gif). Try skinning up the Tripple Couloirs next time. That would be something. Shit a fucking rock can make it down if you throw it.

Skiing is basketball for rich white snobs who can't ice climb!

Free the heel and free the Anterior Cruciate!

Snowboarders know better. They treat it like a game, or a party.

michael_layton said:

The ultimate in thread DEATH is when it drifts into a skiing discussion. Fuck Off you Pussies. Any asshole can fall down a moutain (i know tongue.gif). Try skinning up the Tripple Couloirs next time. That would be something. Shit a fucking rock can make it down if you throw it.

well said bigdrink.gif

To get the thread back on track the north buttress of terror is needs to be done. Suppose the colonial could see another line on that face.

Edited by eric8

michael_layton said:

Nice troll. I won't reply to this, but I would just like to say I think it is bullshit. Now I'll leave this thread alone for all you pussy climbers who don't have the good sense and style to carry an extra twenty pounds up the mountain, and turn the approach and descent into a party. And I'd be happy to dunk on any of you in a game of hoops at your local indoor gym. hahaha.gifboxing_smiley.gif

-A rich white snob, who used to live in PDX and liked it there

eric8 said:

michael_layton said:

well said bigdrink.gif

To get the thread back on track the north buttress of terror is needs to be done. Suppose the colonial could see another line on that face.

I don't understand the point here.

Why are you guys talking about winter repeats to be done? Is it so you can prove your knowledge of unclimbed routes in the Cascades or inspire folks to do first ascents?

Traditionally, people do not talk about this kind of stuff to such a large audience. It is kept between friends.

Uhhh .... Crackbolter:

This is a climbing website. We talk about climbing here. That includes both new routes and repeats -- some folks like to get psyched up for either one. What's your point? Are you suggesting that there should not be any discussion of lines that may not have been climbed yet?

Suck it Crackbolter the_finger.gif

I like talking about climbing and cool looking lines are something to talk about. Personally I'm not particularly motivated by FAs or FDs so I don't feel any need to not discuss undone lines. Having wandered around the Cascades for awhile I've seen a lot more lines than I have time (or skill!) to do. If someone reads a post then motivates to do something like

ski the NE Coulior of Goode

or

maybe climb it's complete East Ridge

or

traverse W Ridge of Eldo-to-Torment-to-Forbidden-to-Sharfin-to-N Face-Buckner

good for them! and good for Cascade climbing in general!

It's just banter, and for the most part plainly visible to anyone who flips thru guidebooks. If you feel like your super secret projects are be revealed maybe it will motivate you to actually get out this year and do them.

mattp said:

Uhhh .... Crackbolter:

This is a climbing website. We talk about climbing here. That includes both new routes and repeats -- some folks like to get psyched up for either one. What's your point? Are you suggesting that there should not be any discussion of lines that may not have been climbed yet?

I am not suggesting anything. I am only questioning your motives. For one, it makes no difference to me but it does bring greater competiton to a sport that in essence is about ones self accomplishment. Bringing it to this website only shows how compeditive you are towards climbing.

If that is your motive, thats cool.

Crackbolter said:

I am not suggesting anything. I am only questioning your motives. For one, it makes no difference to me but it does bring greater competiton to a sport that in essence is about ones self accomplishment. Bringing it to this website only shows how compeditive you are towards climbing.

If that is your motive, thats cool.

It seems to me that keeping your prospective lines secret is as much, or more, competitive. If you're so noncompetitive then it shouldn't matter whether or not you got the FA, right?

Al_Pine said:

It seems to me that keeping your prospective lines secret is as much, or more, competitive. If you're so noncompetitive then it shouldn't matter whether or not you got the FA, right?

How can keeping a prospective line to yourself be more competitive? If it about your own aspirations, you keep it to yourself to keep away competition. Once everyone knows, it is no longer your goal but possibly many others as well...as in the case of Sloan.

Crackbolter said:

Al_Pine said:

How can keeping a prospective line to yourself be more competitive? If it about your own aspirations, you keep it to yourself to keep away competition. Once everyone knows, it is no longer your goal but possibly many others as well...as in the case of Sloan.

It just seems like to me that getting a FA is inherently competitive. "First ascent" means first to climb it, before anyone else. Means you beat everyone. What is not competitive about that?

Who gives a shit who climbs what first. Even if I were to work real hard and get one or two first ascents around here, it is still going to be pretty much impossible to get them all. I'd rather have *somebody* do them so I can see the pics. If it pumps up your ego to climb something before somebody else does, good on ya', that's your perogative. Just bring back the pics and post them so the rest of us have something pretty to look at.

Its just another game to play, Josh. Some people want to climb the highest 100, others want to solo climbs that others use a rope on, and others want to tick all the routes in Jim Nelson's book or ski all twelve months of the year. It is all pretty much a game -- consider the completely arbitary rule that it is OK to clip a piece of gear for pro but you didn't really climb the pitch if you use it to hold body weight. There is nothing absolute or right about that principal - it is just how we all play the game. Whatever your game may be, that is OK by me.

Means you beat everyone

Is that what it means? Really!?

I thought for some reason it had more to do with going into the unknown and against all odds, you prevailed and made your objective. If everything worked out okay, you might have tapped into your inner self to bring out the best in you.

Huh, what do I know? You probably know better than I.

Edited by Crackbolter