anyone gonna get after this?

layton

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm friggin busy w/finals and headin' back to Banff.

I'll get after that one if I think it's in, if that's the one I feel like doing, if I have the time, I have a partner, and the weather cooperates.

someone else can grab it in the meanwhile, i don't care. there's too many winter plums to pick in this lifetime.

You thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif you-know-what's. I was hesitant to post anything about Sloan at all last year, because it was the W. Face I was actually interested in and I feared attention may not be a good thing for my selfish ambitions. But I posted a trip report anyway, and PF went up there and he didn't know any better. Now the one and only cool climb left in the State is public knowledge (not really, but I hope you'll at least have the decency to invite me along when you go up there to try and snag it -- and I hope that isn't before about February when it may actually come into shape).

I think that there have been a few folks keeping that aspect in mind since those photos were posted last year Matt. Hopefully Layton's goading will persuade someone to get up there and hit it.

Wasn't there some mention of a washout that would cut off Sloan's would be ascenscionists a few miles short of the trailhead? That alone might keep all but the most determined away from the mountain this winter if it's true....

mattp said:

You thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif you-know-what's. I was hesitant to post anything about Sloan at all last year, because it was the W. Face I was actually interested in and I feared attention may not be a good thing for my selfish ambitions. But I posted a trip report anyway, and PF went up there and he didn't know any better. Now the one and only cool climb left in the State is public knowledge (not really, but I hope you'll at least have the decency to invite me along when you go up there to try and snag it -- and I hope that isn't before about February when it may actually come into shape).

Your selfish attitude and lust for recognition will keep you out of the running.

Off_White said:

Necronomicon said:

Your selfish attitude and lust for recognition will keep you out of the running.

That winning combination seems to have worked for any number of climbers, but that's a nifty designation for mattp, maybe his description should change to "selfish and lusty" yellaf.gif

T-Shirts anyone?

JayB said:

I think that there have been a few folks keeping that aspect in mind since those photos were posted last year Matt.

Yeah, I think the potential on that aspect of sloan peak is about as far opposite from secret as you can get now. I'm actually really surprised nobody went up and did it last year. I'm also not entirely convinced it hasn't been done before and simply not reported. It seems a pretty obvious face to miss, but who knows... confused.gif

As much as it sucks to have super-secret projects become much talked about objetives, I'm hoping to see some competition and some ambition among local climbers this winter.

It would be really cool if the local climbing scene became active this winter and ticked some real gems. Hopefully the new ice climbing guide will provide some motivation for people to explore the cascades. There are surely some sweet objectives still to be plucked. My big objectives for this winter in the cascades include the West Face of Sloan and the North Face of Triumph.

The race is on mutha phukers! evils3d.gif

Paco said:

I'm hoping to see some competition and some ambition among local climbers this winter.....

There are surely some sweet objectives still to be plucked. My big objectives for this .....

The race is on mutha phukers! evils3d.gif

So in the interests of competition what are these unplucked gems?

Sloan NW Face (they'll be linign up)

Triump N Face (they'll be lining up-not)

Pyramid E Face (can heli's land there?)

Slesse Coulior-of-Death (or whatever it's called)

New York Gully Headwall Direct (does it go?)

More winter ascents in the Pickets (a local climber has evidently be trying the north side of McMillan for years, supposedly a fine line!?)

Dru's North Face of Old Settler looks accessible, pretty damn sweet and BIG!

Wasn't some dude claiming to attempt a winter solo of Thin Red Line, derivative but bold

cough it up moon.gif

With the untimely death of Ben Manfredi will the extreme sking void be filled? Last couple years might one day be seen as a golden age of this genre. What big descents are left?

Will someone ski Triple Couliors or the TC-N Face link up?

Northeast Coulior of Goode is doable and needs to be done.

What else?

Anyone ever seen the Beowolf Coulior on Bonanza?

Alex said:

If you mean the original aid crack, its been freed at MHard.

Alex

I've never been on the route, in fact I've never seen the route. I mean the big rock headwall that sits above the climb and is skirted on the right. Jim Nelson makes some reference to it as a challenge for future climbers..blah, blah, blah.

Am I the only fool around here willing to openly discuss unclimbed lines, projects, etc.? Come on folks cough em up!

dberdinka said:

Alex said:

If you mean the original aid crack, its been freed at MHard.

Alex

I've never been on the route, in fact I've never seen the route. I mean the big rock headwall that sits above the climb and is skirted on the right. Jim Nelson makes some reference to it as a challenge for future climbers..blah, blah, blah.

Am I the only fool around here willing to openly discuss unclimbed lines, projects, etc.? Come on folks cough em up!

Shhhh! Secrets!!