Mark Twight Fan Club

Zenolith

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by sidhayes:

I cant believe you guys. All this rancor for posting smaller, easier mountain peaks on Summitpost? You are either kidding about all this or you have delusions of grandeur. I have news for you, I am not a big wall climber but rather a adequate free climber and mountaineer, and I can certainly whip all of your asses, in achieving the summit of real mountains while you are still frothing around on the approach, sucking wind.

Way to go sid, you can post here anytime. At least you understand the "flavor" of cc. You got some guys riled, which is good. We do have a "spray" department however.

AlpineK & Co.,

Sorry about all the shit on SP (at least my posts)...I thought the people posting were some non-climbing 15 year old little bastards with nothing better to do, so I just hammered 'em back. Fortunately, I finally clicked on a link to this thread by one of the SP'ers, and Alex was also pretty cool in explaining the scene over here.

I did think Scotty's post about Dick P was rather lame....one post, he's hammering us for getting all over Dick, and then the next post he's praising us. Give me a break.

AlpineK...sorry about the crack regarding the parents. You're lucky to have been "born" into it...wish I was.

Dana

• 2 years later...

I think Mark is well into his forty's. Age has a tendacy to slow you down a little.

I am jealuos of Mark also, as it seems many are here. As humans, we have a tendancy to attack and try to tear down what we do not understand, fear or wish they had. I wish I could go skiing every morning before I go to work. I would like to have had to opportunity attempt and sucessfully climb some of the route he has tried. More over, have the abilities it takes to try those routes.

I would not want to write a book as everyone then thinks they know you as they hang on every word you printed. The assumption that that is how you think forever even as climbing evolves continuosly.

I am glad Mark wrote Extreme Alpinism. I found it helpful in answering some questions I had for the style of climbing I like. Better than Freedom of the Hills.

A fan club, do they actually exist for people older than 11? Dude, I recommend you go see a professional about that.

I think Mark is well into his forty's. Age has a tendacy to slow you down a little.

I am jealuos of Mark also, as it seems many are here. As humans, we have a tendancy to attack and try to tear down what we do not understand, fear or wish they had. I wish I could go skiing every morning before I go to work. I would like to have had to opportunity attempt and sucessfully climb some of the route he has tried. More over, have the abilities it takes to try those routes.

I would not want to write a book as everyone then thinks they know you as they hang on every word you printed. The assumption that that is how you think forever even as climbing evolves continuosly.

I am glad Mark wrote Extreme Alpinism. I found it helpful in answering some questions I had for the style of climbing I like. Better than Freedom of the Hills.

A fan club, do they actually exist for people older than 11? Dude, I recommend you go see a professional about that.

I read Extreme Alpinism. I own the book; it is one of the best climbing books I've read. I also own Kiss or Kill. I liked it. A lot. I went to his slideshow. And I found the man repulsive. His attitude and arrogance I can live with, what I found repulsive is his self-destructive tendencies. Overall, I found him to be an excellent example of an irresponsible lifestyle.

Also, his general attitude of 'to be as cool as me, you have to climb these routes, but either you'll die, or all your friends will die' stuck me as pointless.

Interstingly, I went to Scott Backes' slideshow and greatly enjoyed it. He struck me as a more 'normal' person, taking what many of us live for to an extremely high level. Twight was perhaps a bit too psychotic. cantfocus.gif

Sorry, Gotterdamerung, you'll have to wait a few years. boxing_smiley.gifwink.gif

I spoke with Twight this past winter at an ice festival and he seemed very down to earth. There was the arrogance, yes, but he's Mark Twight. If any of you have climbed routes such as the routes that he's done that involve incredible difficulty and commitment, then I wouldn't mind if you were a bit arrogant.

I also own both his books and thoroughly enjoy them.

The other day someone asked me "How can Steve House justify whining about Babanov's use of fixed ropes on Nuptse, when House himself fixed ropes on, not a 2500m Himalayan line, but Sans Blitz, a waterfall ice route?"

Anyone? Twight? Beuller?