Smiff on Saturday????

RuMR

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yellaf.gif

How 'bout those huge waterstreaks running down from the top of ... well, everything?

The Amazing family drove to the parking lot and got out of the car, determined that since it was cloudy as hell, raining, and many of the huge waterstreaks were actually reaching the ground on most of the walls, it was maybe a good idea to just continue on home. Guess that's the end of the Fall season at Ye Olde Pile 'o SmithMud!

it was climbable...most of morning glory and the churning buttress was dry enough to climb...

Is it me or does that place seem to be wetter in general than past years???

and hey...this thread is about NEXT weekend!!! So, has the missus sent that chip thingie? Come down next weekend, sucka!!!!

RuMR said:

it was climbable...most of morning glory and the churning buttress was dry enough to climb...

Is it me or does that place seem to be wetter in general than past years???

and hey...this thread is about NEXT weekend!!! So, has the missus sent that chip thingie? Come down next weekend, sucka!!!!

Damn. Looked like there was water coming down on almost everything. Wet enough, anyway, that it looked like it wasn't worth the trouble.

It does seem way wetter than usual. Having been completely rained out on two days earlier this Fall, and then getting the hose this past weekend, the Doc would say this is totally unprecedented. Can't recall EVER being rained out more than once in a season; usually once a year at most. Must be this global warming shit, dicking with the weather or somethin'. You gotta be worried about Spring, too, if Fall was this wet. hellno3d.gif

The Doritos ain't been sent yet. Weather, illness, and life in general derailed the process, so it'll probably have to wait 'til Spring. As for this weekend, let's see what the weather looks like, shall we? Expectations are not too high at this point, and the Amazing family is not too keen on getting rained out again. thumbs_down.gif

Besides the m.g.w. what areas stay the most dry? pleasure palace? shipwreck wall stuff? wartley's area? we wanted to check some of that stuff out, but didn't want to haul all the way round the park to find some soggy stuff.

also, someone was telling me smith gets friable when damp. Is this true? Heard this about sandstone but not the tuff.

I'm interested in hooking up with somone to do some moderates (5.6 - 5.8) this weekend at Smith. Please send me PM if interested.

There's a 50% chance of rain on Saturday, but I'd be happy to climb between the showers as long as it doesn't get ridiculously wet. The Sunday forecast looks good, but chilly.

Maybe. Presicely what when it's raining? The gym? Some people might get tired of the same old tune playing and the same old boulder problems or holds....

Sometimes a good ole real winter sport is the best for the soul.

Concisely driving 5-6 hours and looking forward to rain and bad weather when it's cold is not really appealing for some people looking for good rock. I've done it and most of the time it's crap. Others may disagree but that is up to them. THere is nothing wrong with making the most of your day skiing snowboarding snowshoeing and winter snow and mixed ice climbing when it's close by in reference to other options I mention above. But if you can find splitter granite close by then great.

My advice is don't chase something that isnt that good. Get out and find a great winter sport like skiing and such. Explore your options and dont disregard them without trying.

Anyone can climb in shit weather or marginal conditions but you really dont have to if you dont want to. wazzup.gif Learn something new evolve.