Christmas tree.

Edited by MisterE

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MisterE, I might agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that the vast majority of Christmas trees are grown on farms and harvested like other crops. How about all the mushsmile.gif and actual edible ones that are taken out of the forest, thus slowing the natural processes of decay that the fungi provide.

My gripe is with the over commercializtion of Christmas. Hell, radio stations started playing Christmas songs before Thanksgiving and stores before that, or so my daughters say. I stay as far from most retail stores as possible. grin.gif When the lead stories on the news and the newspaper are about people lining up at midnight waiting for the stores to open after Thanksgiving something is terribly wrong.

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

mattp said:

I believe the Christmas Tree was originally a Pagan thing, not actually Christian.

nbot neccisarily a tree, but they brought ever gree boughs inside I believe smile.gif same idea.

Your both right... pegans can be found all over the world. and they all have different ways of celabrating the winter solcitis. The ULE log is another, trees, bows, misletoe, shoot even saint Nicolas in diferent forms... these are ways of celibrating this time of year rather than the actual birth of Christ...

Fejas said:

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

mattp said:

I believe the Christmas Tree was originally a Pagan thing, not actually Christian.

nbot neccisarily a tree, but they brought ever gree boughs inside I believe smile.gif same idea.

Your both right... pegans can be found all over the world. and they all have different ways of celabrating the winter solcitis. The ULE log is another, trees, bows, misletoe, shoot even saint Nicolas in diferent forms... these are ways of celibrating this time of year rather than the actual birth of Christ...

;)

Dan_Harris said:...When the lead stories on the news and the newspaper are about people lining up at midnight waiting for the stores to open after Thanksgiving something is terribly wrong.

Terribly wrong? Nah. It's an old story, told repeatedly for over 100 years now. Back in 1939, when FDR moved Thanksgiving up a week in order to extend the Christmas shoppng season, a lot of folks thought that was terrible too. But people had a depression to contend with, and to promote the economy was to promote the human welfare. If you see people lining up, that may be a good thing.

mattp said:

werd. it aint for christ. its for odin. druid shizzle

hell. even the prophet jerimiah dissed the tree: Jeremiah 10:2-4: "Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not."

ehmmic said:

Okay Lummox, are you possessed by some other person today. You quoting the bible freaks me out.

oh my sweet ehmic. "You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit them together in my mother's womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! It is amazing to think about. Your workmanship is marvelous--and how well I know it. You were there while I was being formed in utter seclusion! You saw me before I was born and scheduled each day of my life before I began to breathe. Every day was recorded in your Book! How precious it is, Lord, to realize that you are thinking about me constantly! I can't even count how many times a day your thoughts turn towards me. And when I waken in the morning, you are still thinking of me." Psalms 139:13-18

lummox said:

ehmmic said:

Okay Lummox, are you possessed by some other person today. You quoting the bible freaks me out.

oh my sweet ehmic. "You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit them together in my mother's womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! It is amazing to think about. Your workmanship is marvelous--and how well I know it. You were there while I was being formed in utter seclusion! You saw me before I was born and scheduled each day of my life before I began to breathe. Every day was recorded in your Book! How precious it is, Lord, to realize that you are thinking about me constantly! I can't even count how many times a day your thoughts turn towards me. And when I waken in the morning, you are still thinking of me." Psalms 139:13-18

yellaf.gif

There's an news item in a couple of the weekend papers about a labour rights organization in Austria that's trying to have the playing of Christmas music in malls restricted to only a couple of hours a day. They say it's to preserve the sanity of workers who are subjected to the stuff all day long, day after bloody day, for weeks on end. They're calling it "Psychological Terrorism" yellaf.gif

Boy, now there's a war effort I could get behind, ridding the world of Christmas Music "Terrorists" like Celine Dion and Whitney Houston and Michael Bolton, and anybody anywhere who has ever produced a recording of "The Little Drummer Boy." Where do I enlist?