Conglomerate in Monserrat

Hiromi

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiromi said:

So what is conglomerate rock all about? I was recently in Monserrat and people were climbing all over this stuff. I've never really seen it before, & would be afraid it would crumble. Anyone been climbing there or somewhere like it?

Its no differenty than Smiff tuff except it is sedimentary not volcanic. Same rock at Maple Cayon UT and Hope Boulders BC and Pinnacles Calif. The difference is the solidity of the matrix material that holds the stones together. On conglom with a quartzite matrix you can reef on 10% attached cobbles and they will hold where if the conglom is matrixed with weak sandstone or calcite they will pop with impunity.

ehmmic said:

Bug said:

It is an indication of how addicted to climbing some people are. Pinnacles north of SF is conglomerate.

Marginal.

Pinnacles is south of SF, north of LA and nearly due east of Monterrey.

You win a free bigdrink.gif. I thought of that too late to edit. It really doesn't matter where it is tho. If I am that close to the valley, I will not be climbing choss. wave.gif

From now on anyone making an assertion as to provenance of cobble-filled rock, please include reference to published geological study of area covering rock you are citing. These unsubstantiated Internet assertions as to volcanic vs. sedimentary provenance are devoid of verifiability.

cj001f said:

Bug said:I thought of that too late to edit. It really doesn't matter where it is tho. If I am that close to the valley, I will not be climbing choss.

4 hrs drive, 1 way is close? And the pinnacles do have awesome climbing.

I live in Redmond WA. If I can get to Pinnacles it would be easier to get to the valley.