tips for lowquality pass

minx

taking a moment to reflect after opening day at snoqualmie pass. after a great day of skiing yesterday i was forced to stay local today. here's some observations some of you might find helpful if you come to the pass this year smirk.gif:

1. even though it's raining, snow still makes for hazardous driving conditions

2. the temperature on the sign at the best western is ALWAYS at least 2*C to warm. As far as i know it doesn't rain when it's -2*C

3. just b/c you have all wheel drive doesn't mean you can't get high centered (note to subie drivers)

4. corollary to #3: your little front wheel drive car will not make it up a steep hill w/5" of wet snow w/o snow tires and/or chains

5. the bigdrink.gif is cheaper at timewise than at chevron

6. just b/c there's snow on the road doesn't make it ok to walk in the middle of it so you can keep your feet dry

7. even if there aren't "no sledding signs" it's still stupid and unsafe to sled down a bank that lands you in the middle of a road.

8. it's really nice to offer mushsmile.gif to the chick who pulls your stuck front wheel drive car out of the snowbank

9. neon colored ski jackets from the 80s were ugly then, they're even uglier now.

10. riding the lifts to ski sorta sucks, it sucks even more when it's pouring rain, snoq. pass skiing sucks but damn is it conveniently located!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11. 4WD does not mean you can get away without snow tires or chains.

12. No matter what the salesman told you, your SUV still sucks in the snow. Slow down and keep everybody safe.

13. Just because the subaru or Audi (or even little FWD car) took the corner at 35mph, doens't mean your SUV won't slide off into the snowbank trying it at the same speed (I've witnessed this TWICE now. hahaha.gif)

Minx, reminds me of my new years eve skiing up at snocrummie a few years back. I got soaking wet but somehow it was fun anyway. bigdrink.gif

JoshK said:

11. 4WD does not mean you can get away without snow tires or chains.

12. No matter what the salesman told you, your SUV still sucks in the snow. Slow down and keep everybody safe.

13. Just because the subaru or Audi (or even little FWD car) took the corner at 35mph, doens't mean your SUV won't slide off into the snowbank trying it at the same speed (I've witnessed this TWICE now. hahaha.gif)

Minx, reminds me of my new years eve skiing up at snocrummie a few years back. I got soaking wet but somehow it was fun anyway. bigdrink.gif

madgo_ron.gifDon't start........ madgo_ron.gif

i'd also like to add the following additions

a) no parking signs on the SIDE of the road don't mean that it's ok to park in the MIDDLE of alpental road.

b) if you leave your car parked on the side of the road the snowplow will cover it. stop bitchin and start diggin

d) know where you're going, following my tracks is only going to get you lost. and i don't care that you're lost.

minx said:

b) if you leave your car parked on the side of the road the snowplow will cover it. stop bitchin and start diggin

After a night of heavy snow in Montana, I got to see the remnants of a snow plow getting a bit too close to the cars parked on the side of the road... 3 cars right in a row were missing mirrors and were scraped all to shit... driveways are the best place to park when it snows. Snow plows are handy, but scary hellno3d.gifhellno3d.gif

• 2 weeks later...

additions to my original post:

a) digging your self out by throwing snow on my car is not cool mad.gif

b) digging yourself out followed by stopping in the middle of the road to put your chains on is suck

c) the area that's been cleared so people can drive up to the chevron is not parking spaces

d) leaving the chevron w/ 6 pack in front of the sheriff will get you followed by said sheriff

e) if you're fucking around in the snow, you don't deserved to be helped when you get your lame orange truck stuck in a snow bank

f) there is STILL no parking on alpental road...read the damn signs!!

G) BE CAREFUL in the backcountry please

minx said:

additions to my original post:

a) digging your self out by throwing snow on my car is not cool mad.gif

b) digging yourself out followed by stopping in the middle of the road to put your chains on is suck

c) the area that's been cleared so people can drive up to the chevron is not parking spaces

d) leaving the chevron w/ 6 pack in front of the sheriff will get you followed by said sheriff

e) if you're fucking around in the snow, you don't deserved to be helped when you get your lame orange truck stuck in a snow bank

f) there is STILL no parking on alpental road...read the damn signs!!

G) BE CAREFUL in the backcountry please

Sounds like someone has some pent-up angst! yellaf.gif

catbirdseat said:

People who visit the PNW only in the summer don't get the complete experience. You must come visit us in November-December sometime.

Would love to, but have this damn thing called a job madgo_ron.gif that doesn't let me get away during that time of the year. Family keeps us here during winter break. OK, I did make a round trip to McMinnville in 45 hours last January. shocked.gif Drive, eat, sleep, and drive some more! Some day I'll get up there during the winter.