Easiest Mt Hunter route?

Fairweather

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like it may be the quickest way up doesn't it. From the photo you'd probably want to cover that 2000ft pretty quickly. That's a lot of time under the gun. I think the Raman Coulior is a first ascent/descent. In the late 70s or early 80s I read of a party accessing the ridge from the south but I think they topped out further left at 9500. Avalanched as well. These guys flew out and back on the same days as my group. I was glad to hear they were successful. A pretty ballsy trip. thumbs_up.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

1999: It was climbed by Brits Dave Wills and Dan Donovan. My partner and I met them on the summit plateau, and descended the Ramen Couloir, on their advice of it being a fast way off, as a storm was fast approaching. The descent was quick, safe, and straightforward, but this was a cold evening in late April, and I would think that after mid May- or anytime it is warm- the couloir will be too dangerous. It's about 3500 feet of 40-60 degree terrain. In June the couloir is mostly rock and is scoured by avalanches and rockfall. The descent from the basin below involves traversing and descending a whole lot of south facing terrain below rockfall couloirs, to avoid a horrendous icefall in the lower glacier.

I have since heard fairly viable rumors that this couloir was climbed 15-20 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if this is true.

thumbs_up.gif<1999: It was climbed by Brits Dave Wills and Dan Donovan.> thumbs_up.gif I've been trying to find the account from 20 years ago. I have it around here somewhere, can't seem to find it. I'll keep looking. I think there might have been a husband and wife in the team. I think thier names would be familiar to some people here but I just can't remember.

Fairweather said:I found this while surfing the net...Cool report of a ski trip down Hunter! I don't know who these guys are, but a neat link/slideshow. Does anyone have more info on the "Ramen Couloir"?

There was an article published in the November issue of Couloir on this route w/ sketch. There were also small blurbs in Powder in Backcountry Mag. One of the articles mentioned a large avalanche in the couloir shortly after they'd exited.

snafflehound said:

thumbs_up.gif<1999: It was climbed by Brits Dave Wills and Dan Donovan.> thumbs_up.gif I've been trying to find the account from 20 years ago. I have it around here somewhere, can't seem to find it. I'll keep looking. I think there might have been a husband and wife in the team. I think thier names would be familiar to some people here but I just can't remember.

Maybe you're thinking of Alan & Shari Kearney and a couple of buds on the SW Ridge in the late '70s?

I did the SW Ridge a few years ago. We experienced much different conditions than those described in High Alaska. We climbed in June and found the 1300' high rock step below the ice arete to be steep runnels with very steep steps of rock to 5.8. Apparently earlier in the season it is just a snow climb. I think the crux of the climb is getting off of it without being avalanched down the S couloir.

• 2 months later...